Ellendale pool is located east of Walkaway via Nangetty-Walkaway Road, Ellendale Road and Ellendale Pool Road.
Originally the pool was located on private property on land owned by the Logue family.
There was no public access and only the friends and family of the Logue's were able to visit.
The name originated with the wife of Major Logue who married Ellen Shaw in 1856. (Major was not a military rank in this case but an actual first name.)
Logue purchased just over 400ha of land but as he selected land that contained the best water sources in the area, his control extended over some 38,000ha in reality.
A fruit orchard was established by the river but by the 1930s it had ceased to exist.
It wasn't until the 1960s that the area by the pool was resumed as public land and became available as a reserve for picnicking and camping.
The river was an important source of food and water for the Aboriginal people before European settlement.
Today the site remains a popular picnic and camping site and has excellent facilities including flushing toilets, an outdoor cold water shower, BBQs, shelters, tables, seats, bins and a dump point for campers.
The site is dog friendly and a small fee is charged for camping. Campers can stay for up to 7 nights.
Large flocks of corellas come to the pool and times when they are visiting can be very noisy indeed.
There are warning signs asking visitors to take care when using the pool due to the possible presence of amoebic meningitis and also asking people to take care near the cliff on the far side of the pool.
Best time to visit:
This is a Snippet page on
Western Australia Now and Then
Please visit our main site for lots more information.