WANowandThen.com

 

JOHN CYRIL HAWES

1876 - 1956

 

 

 

JOHN CYRIL HAWES

John Hawes was born in Richmond (near London, England) on September 7th 1876. His father, Edward was a church warden for the Church of England.

 

After completing his schooling, John started training as an architect with the firm of Edmeston and Gabriel.

 

After completing his architectural training John did some work in England before going overseas to the Bahamas. He began to question his association with the Church of England and started thinking about Catholicism as an alternative.

 

He left Long Island for Nassau in 1911 and soon afterwards left Jamaica for New York where he finally decided to leave the Church of England and convert to Catholicism.

 

After returning to England for 2 months, Hawes left for Canada in June 1911. After 6 months trying to find some work to settle in to, John got word that his mother was seriously ill so he once again returned to England.

 

He next visited Malta and Rome where he completed his training as a Catholic priest. (Having originally been trained as a clergyman for the Church of England he was able to complete his Catholic training in 3 years instead of the usual 4 years.)

 

Hawes originally wanted to go back to the Bahamas but was refused a position there. It was at this time that he met Bishop Kelly , the first Bishop of Geraldton in Western Australia, who was in Rome recruiting novices to come and work in W.A.

 

When he completed his studies in Rome, Hawes travelled to Milan, Paris and then back to London to see his parents before leaving for Australia in October 1915. Hawes was 39 when he arrived in Fremantle and almost as soon as he set foot in W.A. he was involved in the planning for a new cathedral in Geraldton.

 

Bishop Kelly initially placed Hawes at Mt. Magnet and although John had some experience with hot weather in the Bahamas he was totally unprepared for summer in the Murchison. Hawes wrote:

 

'I have mass daily at six, but after breakfast it gets too hot to do anything but alternately drink out of the water bag and lie down in the bath.'

 

John was recalled to Geraldton IN 1916 to begin preparations for the building of the new cathedral. At this time he took over responsibility for the parish of Mullewa and was also responsible for Yalgoo. In was 1920 before Hawes left Mullewa for an extended period of leave and travelled via the eastern states to New Zealand, Panama, Havana, New York and finally back to England.

 

Bishop Kelly died in 1921 and it was prior to this John had been asked to design some new extensions to what is now known as St. Mary's cathedral in Perth. The plans progressed to a point where the building was to be completely re-modelled but Bishop Kelly's replacement (Richard Ryan) did not like Hawes' plans and backed by other Irish clergy a rather ugly gothic design was chosen instead.

 

In 1922 all practising architects were required to be registered in W.A. and John along with most other architects working in the state gained his formal registration papers at this time. (He was to let the registration lapse in 1930 despite continuing to work as an architect for the church.)

 

After designing and working on a small church at Yalgoo, John turned his attention to the changes to the cathedral in Perth. He went to London in November 1922 to arrange for materials for the cathedral and was not to return until May 1923. It was during this time that opposition to Hawes' design emerged and because John was not on the spot, he lost control of the project and sadly Perth did not receive the benefit of his inspired design for the new building.

 

Ryan also interfered with Hawes' work on the Geraldton cathedral and during his tenure John almost gave up hope of ever getting his vision for the building realised. When Ryan finally left in 1926, John was once again able to re-gain control of the project. The third Bishop of Geraldton (James Patrick O'Collins) was appointed in 1930 and in him John found a much more sympathetic supporter for his architectural work.

 

After working on a large number of buildings for the church in Western Australia (and drafting designs for some that were never built), John Hawes returned to the Bahamas in 1939. Although Hawes had left West Australia for good in 1939 he continued to work on designs for buildings in the state but once he was no longer here few of them would end up being built.

 

Work done by John Hawes in Western Australia

 

Completed Buildings

 

Building

Location

Christian Brothers College

Bindoon

Church of St. Mary Star of the Sea Carnarvon

Church of St. Andrew

Carnamah

Francis Xavier Cathedral

Geraldton

St. John of God Convent Geraldton
The Hermitage Geraldton
Church of St. Lawrence Geraldton
Nazareth House Geraldton
Two private dwellings Geraldton and Melangata Station
St. Peter's altar design Greenough
Church of St. James Kojarena

Church of the Holy Cross. 

Morawa

Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Mullewa
School building Mullewa
Convent and school church Our Lady of Fatima Nanson
Hostel (alterations) New Norcia

Sacred Heart Convent

Northampton

Church of St. Mary in Ara Colei

Northampton

St. Joseph's. Perenjori
Christian Brothers Agricultural school Tardun
Pallottine Monastery Tardun
St. Mary's convent Tardun
Utakarra cemetery chapel Utakarra

Our Lady of Help Church school

Wiluna

St. Patrick's church hall Wonthella
St. Hyacinth. Yalgoo

 

Designed but not built or not built as Hawes had originally planned

 

Building

Location

St. Michael's Coorow
Chapel of St. Micheal Devil's Creek
Stella Maria's Convent Chapel Geraldton

St. Patrick's Christian Brothers College alterations

Geraldton

St. John of God Convent chapel Geraldton
Nazareth House chapel Geraldton
Maitland Street school Geraldton
Chapel Kockatea
Church Meekatharra

Abbey Church

New Norcia

Sacred Heart Convent chapel Northampton

St Mary's Cathedral

Perth

Church of the Holy Cross South Perth
St. Paul's Three Springs

Church of the Holy Redeemer

Walkaway

Church Wongoondy


 

 

I'm lost please take me home...