DONNELLY RIVER

 

Donnelly River

GPS 34 06 12 S 115 58 37 E

 

 

 

 

GOOGLE IS TRYING TO DESTROY THIS WEBSITE BECAUSE WE WILL NOT RUN THEIR ADS. WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT.

Find us on Youtube     Find us on Facebook     Find us on Pinterest     Find us on Instagram     Support us on Patreon

 

PLEASE HELP TO SUPPORT THIS WEBSITE
Join us on Patreon.
Visit our You Tube Video Page.
Buy one of our PDF books.
Let others know where to find us via social media or
Make a small donation via PayPal

 

DESCRIPTION

 

Hidden away in the forest a little to the south west of Bridgetown is the tiny settlement of Donnelly River.

Originally a timber town, it was named after Admiral Ross Donnelly by James Stirling. Ross Donnelly was a friend of Stirling's wife's family. Strangely, the town's official name is Wheatley but this is seldom used.

The Wheatleys were the family who first started the timber mill in 1912. The mill closed near the start of the First World War and it wasn't until 1947 that plans for a new mill were made.

The mill opened in 1951 and was the only steam powered mill in the south west. The mill finally closed in 1978 and for a time became a museum. Unfortunately the buildings were not maintained and became unsafe. Today the mill stands, fenced off, and gradually crumbling away.

The houses have fared a little better and are now part of Donnelly Village.

The houses have been restored and are now available as holiday accommodation. The General Store also operates as a cafe and is open 7 days a week.

Walking and cycling are popular as the Bibbulmun Track and Munda Biddy trail both pass through the village.

The village has a number of facilities and attractions including the forest swimming lake, oval, tennis, basketball and beach-volley ball courts and a 50m flying fox.

Wildlife is prolific and quite tame with kangaroos, emus, possums, kookaburras, magpies, parrots, blue wrens and many other animals calling the area home.

Wheatley Village Pty. Ltd. was established by 35 families who are unit-holders in the Donnelly River Village. The village was purchased by them in February 2010. At the time of purchase the village was very run down but thanks to the involvement of the unit-holders, it has been restored and is now a wonderful tourist attraction as well as being a great place for visitors to stay and explore the surrounding area.

 

MAP

 

 

VIDEO

PROBLEM PLAYING THESE ON FIREFOX?
Turn off Enhanced Tracking Protection
Click the shield icon left of the URL near the top left
Slide Advanced Tracking Protection to OFF

 

 

OTHER INFORMATION

 

ATTRACTIONS

 

Four Aces, One Tree Bridge and Glenoran Pool, Donnelly Swimming Dam.

 

BUILDINGS OF NOTE

 

Old mill, general store.

 

ELECTORAL ZONES

 

State : Blackwood - Stirling

Federal : Forrest

 

OTHER INFO.

 

Postcode : 6258

Local Government : Shire of Nannup

 

PHOTOS

Click on a thumbnail to see full sized picture.
Please note that using the https url will cause the photos not to show. To show photos use the standard http url.

 

 

Back Forward

 


 

Best time to visit:

Jan

Feb

Mar

Apr

May

Jun

Jul

Aug

Sep

Oct

Nov

Dec

 

 

 

Become a supporter of this website for just $5 a month

 

 

Go to the Home Page Go to the Help Page Go to the Help Page

Western Australia Now and Then website - Copyright (c) 2019 - Marc Glasby. All rights reserved.