Goongarrie is 84 kilometres north of Kalgoorlie on the Goldfields Highway.
Billy Frost, Jack Bennett, Pickersgill and Cahill were prospecting in the area in 1893 before the big gold
discoveries at Hannans.
They discovered gold in May 1893 and a settlement that included a number of hotels and businesses quickly sprang up.
The gold did not last long and by 1906 the population had reduced to about 60.
Up until 1918 the area produced 800 kilograms of gold
A townsite known as The Ninety Mile was proposed in 1894. The name was the estimated distance to Coolgardie.
Another name associated with the area is The Roaring Gimlet.
The townsite was gazetted in 1895 and although it is known that Goongarrie is an Aboriginal word, the meaning has been lost with time.
There were a number of goldmines in the vicinity of the settlement including the New Boddington, Caledonia, Hicks, Lady Montefiore and
When the gold ran out and people had moved away the Goongarrie Pastoral Station was established but this has now ceased operation
and has been incorporated into the Goongarrie National Park.
All that remains today is three restored railway fettler's cottages.
PROBLEM PLAYING THESE ON FIREFOX?
Turn off Enhanced Tracking Protection
Click the shield icon left of the URL near the top left
Slide Advanced Tracking Protection to OFF
Video available soon
Examining the ruins, wildflowers.
Located in the shire of Menzies
Click on a thumbnail to see full sized picture.
Please note that using the https url will cause the photos not to show. To show photos use the standard http url.