Maya is located on the Wubin to Perenjori road.
The name seems to have come from the Aboriginal name from a nearby spring, Pocanmaya.
The site was gazetted in 1913 and the railway began operating two years later.
Settlement in the area began in 1911 with early settlers being the Edsall brothers, Robert Thompson, Mark Diamond, James Hunter and the Carmichael,
Day and Stevens familires.
In the 1930s-40s the population was listed as about 140 people but it is unknown if this referred to the townsite or the locality in general.
There was once a community hall and sportsground but no sign of either remain today. A branch of the CWA opened in 1936 and operated until 1957.
A school began operating in the community hall in 1937 and a school building opened in 1946. It continued to operate only until 1948.
There were shops along the road opposite the grain silos but all the old buildings in the tiny hamlet either fell into disrepair and were demolished
or were salvaged and moved to other areas.
Although often referred to as a town, Maya today is nothing more than a wheat receival centre for the surrounding farmland.
PROBLEM PLAYING THESE ON FIREFOX?
Turn off Enhanced Tracking Protection
Click the shield icon left of the URL near the top left
Slide Advanced Tracking Protection to OFF
NOTHING CURRENTLY AVAILABLE
Old Valentine tank turned into farm machineary.
BUILDINGS OF NOTE
State : Moore
Federal : Durack
Postcode : 6614
Local Government : Shire of Perenjori
Click on a thumbnail to see full sized picture.
Please note that using the https url will cause the photos not to show. To show photos use the standard http url.