Kambalda Shopping Centre

 

 

KAMBALDA

 

GPS 31 11 43 S 121 40 13 E

 

 

 

 

FIND ACCOMMODATION

 

Coolgardie

Kalgoorlie

Nearby Towns

Widgiemooltha

 

 

GOOGLE IS TRYING TO DESTROY THIS WEBSITE BECAUSE WE WILL NOT RUN THEIR ADS. WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT.

Find us on Youtube     Find us on Facebook     Find us on Pinterest     Find us on Instagram     Support us on Patreon

 

PLEASE HELP TO SUPPORT THIS WEBSITE
Join us on Patreon.
Visit our You Tube Video Page.
Buy one of our PDF books.
Let others know where to find us via social media or
Make a small donation via PayPal

 

 

 

 

STATISTICS

Distance from Perth

632 Km

Population

2700

Average Rainfall

240mm

Mean Max Temp

25.3C

Mean Min Temp

11.5C

 

SERVICES

Police

08 9027 1555

Fire and Rescue

08 9027 1524

Medical

08 9027 8200

Visitor Centre

 08 9080 2115

 

CARAVAN PARKS

Kambalda

Closed

 

HOTEL / MOTEL

Kambalda Hotel

08 9027 1333

 

CALENDAR OF EVENTS

 

 

PLEASE HELP TO SUPPORT THIS WEBSITE
Join us on Patreon.
Visit our You Tube Video Page.
Buy one of our PDF books.
Let others know where to find us via social media or
Make a small donation via PayPal

 

 

DESCRIPTION

 

Kambalda is a 'working town' which means it is mainly focused to the needs of workers from the nearby nickel mines.

 

The main tourist attraction in the area is nearby Lake Lefroy where locals have sometimes held land yacht races across the flat surface. The lake can be seen from Red Hill Lookout.

 

The residential portions of the town are reminicent of older Perth metropoletan suburbs like Medina, much of which was constructed in the same era.

 

 

 

 

 

HISTORY

 

The area was settled in 1897 (one source says 1887 but appears to be incorrect) after gold was discovered by Percy Larkin. Originally called Red Hill, the town was gazetted in 1897 (one source quotes 1903 which also seems to be incorrect). Gold mining, which started in 1897, had ceased by 1906. The town was abandoned shortly after mining ceased. It was named by a government surveyor W. Rowley because he liked the sound of the word – its meaning has been lost with the passage of time although one source suggests ‘maiden of the lake’ but this does sound a bit far fetched.

 

During the gold mining period there were some signifficant finds of large nuggets that included The Golden Butterfly. It is estimated that over 30,000 ounces of gold were extracted before the gold ran out.

 

The original settlement at Red Hill reverted to bushland once the miners had moved on.

 

Nickel was discovered by John Morgan and George Cowcill in 1954 but the School of Mines identified it as Gossan. For some reason it was 10 years later hat the sample was shown to Western Mining who promptly paid $50,000 reward and began developing a new mine in 1966. The town was re-born as Kambalda East. Later a new section (Kambalda West) was constructed in 1969.

 

 

TALL TALES AND TRUE

 

No information for this section yet. If you know of something we can add here please contact us and let us know.

 

MAP

 

 

VIDEO

PROBLEM PLAYING THESE ON FIREFOX?
Turn off Enhanced Tracking Protection
Click the shield icon left of the URL near the top left
Slide Advanced Tracking Protection to OFF

 

Nothing available at this time.

 

OTHER INFORMATION

 

ATTRACTIONS

 

Red Hill Lookout, Lake Lefroy, Memorial Garden, 4wd trips to the goldfields, Cave Hill, Burra Rocks.

 

BUILDINGS OF NOTE

 

Unknown.

 

ELECTORAL ZONES

 

State : Eyre

Federal : O'Connor

 

OTHER INFO.

 

Postcode : 6442

Local Government : Shire of Coolgardie

 

PHOTOS

Click on a thumbnail to see full sized picture.
Please note that using the https url will cause the photos not to show. To show photos use the standard http url.

 

 

Back Forward

 


 

 

 

 

 

Become a supporter of this website for just $5 a month

 

 

Go to the Home Page Go to the Help Page Go to the Help Page

Western Australia Now and Then website - Copyright (c) 2019 - Marc Glasby. All rights reserved.