Kendenup is 4km off Albany Highway on a tourist drive leading through the Stirling Range. The surrounding area is known for its
wildflowers with over 500 species being recorded. Between 30 and 40 of these species are found nowhere else.
The main sources of income in the area consist of cereal crops like wheat, barley, canola, oats and some sunflowers. Cattle are bred for meat and sheep
for wool. Other agricultural produce consists of maize, olives, herbs, gourmet vegetable gardens and fish farming.
There is a good overnight stop at the local recreation ground for motorhomers and caravaners. As of February 2017 the cost is $10 unpowered site $15 powered.
Toilets and showers are wheel chair accessible.
The area was settled in 1831 by George Cheyne (another source quotes John Hassell as first settling here in 1840 but John Hassell actually purchased to
property from Cheyne.) Other early land owners included John Lawrence Morley, Lieutenant William Preston and Captain Thomas Banister.
The Hassells were known for their hospitality and their property became the stopping point for many travellers and vagrants in the area. This failed to
impress Archdeacon Wollaston who stayed with the Hassells and
complained mightily about the fleas that attacked him.
Daisy Bates' book 'The Passing of the Aborigines' recalls another visitor to the property who seems to have had fond memories of her stay.
'Old Yeebalan of Kendenup, a township east of Albany, found herself in the Dumbleyung district when palsy and blindness came upon her. Her white
protectors tried to dissuade her, but she promised them she would go back to the Hassals of Kendenup whose sheep run had been her father's group
area, and who had been good to her in her young days. They gave her food and money for the journey, and she immediately handed it over to the
derelicts in camp in return for their hospitality, as in their primitive sense of honour every native must. Months later, after a solitary journey through
the white settlements, she crawled towards the old Kendenup homestead where she had so often sought and found food and clothing. It was empty
and deserted. Yeebalan made her last camp in the gully, and died a few days later.'
A notable resident of the area for a time was Clement John de Garis, the founder of the Sunraysia company. Despite early success he fell on hard times
and committed suicide.
Gold was discovered in 1874 but ran out very quickly. Originally a fruit growing district it has slowly been turned over to crop production with peas being
one of the most successful harvests.
During the Second World War and POW camp was established near the town and held up to 200 Italian prisoners.
Originally called Kendinup, the town's name is said to have been given by Phillip Le Mothe Snell Chauncy in 1851.
TALL TALES AND TRUE
No information for this section yet. If you know of something we can add here please contact us and let us know.
PROBLEM PLAYING THESE ON FIREFOX?
Turn off Enhanced Tracking Protection
Click the shield icon left of the URL near the top left
Slide Advanced Tracking Protection to OFF
Lake Nunijup, Stirling Range, Porongurup, Lake Poorrarecup.
BUILDINGS OF NOTE
Stamper Battery. May have been the first in Western Australia and was used to process gold. 1874.
State : Blackwood-Stirling
Federal : O'Connor
Postcode : 6323
Local Government : Shire of Plantagenet
Click on a thumbnail to see full sized picture.
Please note that using the https url will cause the photos not to show. To show photos use the standard http url.