Leinster is basically a working town and houses miners who work in the surrounding area. There is not a great deal to attract casual tourists but the
local caravan park is a good place to stop and refresh yourself.
Apart from mining there is a pastoral industry in the area that includes Leinster Downs, Pinnacles, Yakabindie, Yeelirrie and Weebo stations.
About half of the town's 1400 population are residents while others are 'fly-in, fly-out'.
The town needs to accomodate the needs of the workers and has good shopping facilities including a supermarket, beautician, post office, service station, newsagency, coffee shop,
hairdresser salon and nursery.
There is an olympic-size swimming pool, health and fitness centre, air conditioned squash courts, and a number of other sporting facilities.
There is a primary school with about 130 students and distance education programs are available for older students.
Julius Anderson discovered gold in the area in 1897 and there was substantial mining in the area until about 1906.
In 1897 the East Murchison United Company started mining alluvial gold deposit. Western Mining acquired the site in 1989 and renamed it 'Leinster Nickel Operations'.
Western Mining Corporation was granted a special lease (21 years) in 1977 to establish a town to support the Agnew nickel project.
The town was established as a 'company town' and the name originates from Leinster Downs Station.
Today the nickel operations are part of the BHP Billiton Nickel West business group. In 2013 the underground operations at the nickel mine were
shut down after a seismic event impacted on the stability of the mine.
TALL TALES AND TRUE
No information for this section yet. If you know of something we can add here please contact us and let us know.
Nothing available at this time.
BUILDINGS OF NOTE
State : Kalgoorlie
Federal : O'Connor
Postcode : 6437
Local Government : Shire of Leonora
Click on a thumbnail to see full sized picture.