Warburton is located along the Great Central Road and is 1542 from Perth and 560 km from Laverton
which is the nearest town.
A permit is required to visit the area and the town, as it is part of the
Ngaanyatjarra Aboriginal land. No alcohol is allowed to be consumed on Aboriginal land but visitors may transport it through without opening it.
The Aboriginal people who live in the area should not be photographed without asking permission first. The same applies to important cultural sites
as some may be off limits to photographers.
It is necessary to check local road reports
before travelling along the Great Central Road as conditions can change depending on weather events.
The Great Central Road is part of the Outback Way that stretches from Laverton
in Western Australia to Winton in Queensland.
Vehicles travelling here need to be well prepared and travellers must ensure that they have adequate food, fuel and water supplies as distances between
roadhouses are significant. The Laverton to Yulara section of the road is unsealed.
Facilities in town are limited but they include a store, health clinic, school, youth centre, swimming pool, sports field, art gallery, roadhouse and a
coffee shop that only opens on Sunday mornings.
Warburton lies in a valley between the Broan and Warburton Ranges. It was established as a mission by Will Wade and his wife in 1934. It was first known as
Old Well. It is in an Aboriginal reserve and has had its share of problems over the years.
The original town site was 5Km from the present site on the west bank of Elder Creek.
The Australian Inland Mission operated a health facility in the reserve and lack of activities, alcohol abuse
and petrol sniffing, led to regular outbursts of violence. At one time, nursing staff at the hospital had to be withdrawn as they were in physical danger.
Warburton was named after Peter Egerton Warburton
who was the first European to cross the Great Sandy Desert.
The area was originally part of the responsibility of the Shire of Wiluna but on July 1st 1993, it became an independnt shire.
Other communities encompassed by the shire include: Warakurna, Jameson (Mantamaru), Blackstone (Papulankutja), Wingellina (Irrunytja), Patjarr (Karliywara)
Wanarn, Tjirrkarli, Tjukurla and Kanpa.
In 2011 the town was inundated by flood waters that caused substantial damage and led to local residents having to be rescued.
PROBLEM PLAYING THESE ON FIREFOX?
Turn off Enhanced Tracking Protection
Click the shield icon left of the URL near the top left
Slide Advanced Tracking Protection to OFF
From VB Ed's YouTube Channel
Tjulyuru Cultural and Civic Centre, Giles Weather Station, Yarla Kutjarra (rest stop), Surveyor General's Corner.
BUILDINGS OF NOTE
Old mission buildings.
State : Kalgoorlie
Federal : O'Connor
Postcode : 6431
Local Government : Shire of ngaanyatjarraku
Click on a thumbnail to see full sized picture.
Please note that using the https url will cause the photos not to show. To show photos use the standard http url.