A tiny town on the South Coast Highway north east of Albany.
There is a good campsite 18 kilometres away on the coast at Cape Riche but the road to get there can be VERY corrugated if it hasn't
been graded for a while.
The shop at Wellstead is well stocked and there is even a Community Resource Centre in town. If you are in need of mechanical assistance the
local mechanic operates a workshop just behind the town and can help with most problems. Travellers in need of mechanical help can even camp near the workshop and
there is water and toilets available near the shop. The people here are very friendly and helpful.
Edward Eyre passed through the area on his journey from
South Australia to Albany in 1841.
Settlement began in the 1960s and a townsite was gazetted in 1965 - the same year a telephone exchange was built.
John and Ann Wellstead were the first settlers in the area and the town was named in their honour.
Pvt. John Wellstead had originally arrived at Albany aboard the Runnymeade in 1840. He was a trooper in the 51st Regiment and was finally discharged in 1845.
The area first began to open up after the telegraph line to Bremer Bay went through and John Wellstead took up land where he brought his
wife, 4 sons and 6 daughters.
He was still farming in 1881 and died in Albany in 1896. His sons continued to farm in the area after his death.
The region was considered poor for cropping until it was shown that trace elements added to the soil produced good results.
TALL TALES AND TRUE
No information for this section yet. If you know of something we can add here please contact us and let us know.
PROBLEM PLAYING THESE ON FIREFOX?
Turn off Enhanced Tracking Protection
Click the shield icon left of the URL near the top left
Slide Advanced Tracking Protection to OFF
BUILDINGS OF NOTE
State : Albany
Federal : O'Connor
Postcode : 6328
Local Government : City of Albany
Click on a thumbnail to see full sized picture.