Badgebup is located between Katanning and Nyabing. From the main road you will only see a church and the local hall.
There is no actual town here today and it developed as a siding and eventually grain receival point on the railway line.
Settlement here dates from 1873 when land was taken up by H. Hayward.
The 'town' was gazetted in 1923 but by that time a hall had been built (1907), an agricultural hall built in 1818 and St. Peter's church had been constructed in 1922.
The name originates from a nearby soak that became Badgebup Well. The name is Aboriginal and may mean 'place of wild rushes'.
Initially the name 'Badjebupp' was proposed but this became 'Badjebup' then the town was gazetted.
For some reason this changed to 'Nalabup' but then went back to being 'Badjebup' but then changed to the current spelling 'Bedgebup' in 1972.
A CWA branch was formed in 1934 but the town was already struggling. The local school closed in the 1940s and the following decade the local shop
also ceased operating.
In 2004 a large bushfire swept through the area destroying homes, sheds and crops. One of the sheds contained several vintage cars that were completely destroyed.
Today the area is primarily involved in wheat and sheep farming.
PROBLEM PLAYING THESE ON FIREFOX?
Turn off Enhanced Tracking Protection
Click the shield icon left of the URL near the top left
Slide Advanced Tracking Protection to OFF
BUILDINGS OF NOTE
St. Peters Church, Hall.
State : Roe
Federal : O'Connor
Postcode : 6317
Local Government : Shire of Katanning
Click on a thumbnail to see full sized picture.
Please note that using the https url will cause the photos not to show. To show photos use the standard http url.