Badgingarra is little more than a roadhouse, caravan park and tavern. The name originates (as with many towns) with the Aboriginal people who named
a small pool in a river about 5km out of town. The name is said to mean "water by the manna gums". The name obviously came about before land clearing started
as there appear to be precious few trees in the area today. The original spelling was Badjingarra.
In spring (August/September) the wildflowers grow in profusion in this area. Nature trails through the national parks attract visitors from all over.
Farming did not reach the area until relatively recently so much of the large tracts of native wildflowers have remained undisturbed.
22km north west of the town is the Nyagarda Bird Park. It houses over 100 types of birds both domestic and imported. It also has a large shell collection.
(Opening times: 9.00 a.m. - 4.30 p.m. seven days a week.)
South east of the town is the Waddi Emu Farm that breeds emus for the skin trade as well as planting and harvesting wildflowers. The farm has chalets
and a caravan park as well as a swimming pool and restaurant.
In 1984 a nature trail was established and information on the trail can be obtained from the roadhouse. In 2013 the Badgingarra Natural Playground was opened next to the
In 2005 work began on the Emu Downs Wind Farm. The facility is made up of 48 wind turbines and it began producing power in 2006.
In 2010 a large bushfire damaged many farms and killed over 1,700 livestock. In 2012
the area suffered almost the opposite effect when 50mm of rain was dumped on the town in an hour and large falls of hail damaged crops.
The first Europeans to visit this area were
and Francis Gregory
in 1848. In 1877 Alexander Forrest
led an expedition through the area and he was followed by Henry Lefroy in 1895.
A farm lease was taken up by William McNamara in 1894. McNamara bred horses for the Indian Army but there were few other settlers attracted to
the area and even today it is largely undeveloped.
George Lang saw the potential of the area for farming and he worked hard to open the area up for selection but this did not occur until 1948.
The original town site was eventually abandoned and a new town developed as the Brand Highway reached the area. The site was gazetted in 1955.
TALL TALES AND TRUE
No information for this section yet. If you know of something we can add here please contact us and let us know.
Badgingarra Nature Trail, Vern Westbrook Walk, Woolly Bush trail, Waddi Farm Wildflower and Emu Farm, Badgingarra National Park, Lang Lookout, Natural playground.
BUILDINGS OF NOTE
William McNamara's house.
State : Moore
Federal : Durack
Postcode : 6521
Local Government : Shire of Dandaragan
If photos are available, click on a thumbnail to see full sized picture.