Green Head is another small cray fishing settlement on the barren coast between Perth and Geraldton.
It is currently undergoing the kind of development that could lead to its laid back atmosphere being lost.
Since the development of the Indian Ocean Drive, all towns along this coast have experienced a major upturn in development. While this is a good thing
for the once dormant local economies, it does mean that these once quiet little towns are now often crowded with tourists and with more people come
At present Green Head is much less developed than Jurien Bay and Leeman and is clinging on to its 'small town'
Tourism is becoming the main industry in the region and the scenic coastline is a major attraction. Boat tours of local islands take visitors to see the
local sea lion colony and people are attracted for swimming, fishing, sailboarding and walking.
Dynamite Bay got its name from a treasure hunter (Frank Moore) who reputedly had been shown an old Dutch map of the area detailing where chests
of silver had been hidden. Frank was using explosives to try and clear the area and find the lost treasure. A huge hole was dug and the entrance to a cave
found but water began seeping in to the diggings and in the end the project was abandoned.
One of the problems with Western Australian law and treasure, is that 'finders are not keepers'. The Government steps in and takes ownership of any treasure
found. This had led many treasure hunters to keep the secret of finds they have made and any finds they make are quickly taken off shore and sold overseas.
While the law is supposed to help keep important finds in Western Australia, it usually has the opposite effect.
A new camping facility has been developed north of town at
Closer to town is the Three Bays Walkway that runs south from the Grigson Street car park to Dynamite Bay and then on to a lookout at Cambewarra Head.
There are lookouts and toilets located along the route which takes in spectacular views.
Early European contact with this part of the coast started with Dutch seafarers in the 1600s.
A number of Dutch ships were wrecked along the coast as navigation was then an inaccurate science.
The town started its life as a camping reserve in 1946 but by the 1950s its popularity was such that it was surveyed for housing lots and eventually gazetted on
January 7th 1966. The name was first given to a nearby headland by Staff-Commander William Edwin Archdeacon R.N. in 1875.
TALL TALES AND TRUE
No information for this section yet. If you know of something we can add here please contact us and let us know.
PROBLEM PLAYING THESE ON FIREFOX?
Turn off Enhanced Tracking Protection
Click the shield icon left of the URL near the top left
Slide Advanced Tracking Protection to OFF
Leseur National Park,
Sandy Cape Campsite,
Islands, Dynamite Bay, South Bay, Billygoat Bay, Point Louise, Green Head Lookouts, Three Bays Walkway, Art galleries, Little Three Springs, Coolimba,
BUILDINGS OF NOTE
State : Moore
Federal : Durack
Postcode : 6514
Local Government : Shire of Coorow
Click on a thumbnail to see full sized picture.