Situated on the Blackwood River, the town was named after an Aboriginal word Booyup meaning place of big stones. (Another source quotes Buyu - place of smoke or Booy - big smoke.)
Boyup today remains a small quiet service centre for the surrounding farms. The town itself is fairly confusing as it appears to have just grown without any thought of town planning.
The streets are very 'higgldy piggldy' and can be a bit difficult to get a grip on.
Nearby in the tiny hamlet of Dinninup is one of the most exceptional collections of teapots you will ever see. The Tea Pot House is a great place to visit and there is also a gem
museum in this small town as well. An old abandoned general store lends an atmosphere of days gone by.
If you are looking for a campsite in the area then it is hard to go past Jayes Bridge. A large paddock by the river has plenty of room for all sizes of vehicle. It is free to
camp and there is a toilet.
At Condinup you can see the ruins of a building that we were told once operated as a post office.
Boyup Brook Grapevine
This is believed to be the largest grapevine in Australia but as it is on private property, it is not always available for tourists to look at.
The vine is said to have come from Bridgetown in the form of a switch to gee the horses up. It ended up being planted and has now been growing for over
100 years. It is on a farm about 8km from town and permission to view it can be obtained via the Visitor Centre.
The area was explored by A.C. Gregory
as early as 1845 and was first settled in 1854 by a Commander Scott. Next came James LeeSteere in 1861, who took up land near the Blackwood River.
In 1871 William Forrest took up land here as well.
The town's development can be traced to the formation of the "Upper Blackwood Progress Committee" by local farmers in 1899. Their aim was to
"advance the interests of this rising and important district".
With an eye to the main game, the Committee proposed the town be named Throssell. The proposal was sent to the Minister for Lands, wait for it,
George Throssell - sucky sucky.
Despite the obvious 'brown nosing' the town site was not immediately accepted but the Committee persisted and the townsite was gazetted in 1900 -
as Boyup. In 1909 the town became Boyup Brook to avoid confusion with Boyanup.
Early development started with the building of a school in 1900 and then by 1909, the railway . Timber mills started up in the area prior to World
War Two and some continued to operate until 1982.
A flax mill operated from 1940-1960 (one source says 1965) and today the area is reliant on sheep, cattle, oats and barley production.
TALL TALES AND TRUE
No information for this section yet. If you know of something we can add here please contact us and let us know.
Carnaby's Beetle Collection, Bottle Museum, Grapevine. Art Studio and Aviaries, Bi-Centennial Walkway, Blackwood Crest Winery, Bridge Picnic Area, Country and Western Music Centre, Glacial Rock Formation, Gregory Tree, Norlup Homestead, Pioneers Museum Scott's Brooks Wines, Storm Boy Jumpers, Dinninup Tea Pot House.
BUILDINGS OF NOTE
Norlup homestead 1874.
Querijup Pool - Track goes north-east to a quiet crossing on Scotts Brook. Close to Norlup homestead and Scotts Brook vineyard. 33 57 50 S 116 30 45 E
Asplin Siding - Suitable for caravans. Tracks may be wet in winter. 33 48 25.82 S 116 29 23.39 E
Mullidup Pool - Tone River. Suitable for caravans. Could be damp after rain. Large number of sites. 34 07 22 S 116 47 33 E
Tone Bridge - Overnight stop or picnic area.
Trigwell Bridge - Suitable for caravans, close to the road. Overnight stop or picnic. On north side of river and west side of bridge, Flat area -
shelter under the bridge. 33 40 29 S 116 35 50 E
Willinarrup - Access track may be difficult. Nice flat area by the river 3km from Boyup Brook.
Sandakan Park - Free electric BBQ, gazebos; small playground area; skateboard park; toilets. Sandakan Memorial to those who lost their lives in Borneo.
Lions Park - Natural bush land setting. Toilet and night lighting. Walk trail around town from here.
Newlgalup - Right hand side of Boyup Brook - Dinninup Road west of Newlgalup Road, 7kms out of Boyup on river side. 33 48 21 S 116 26 43.3 E
Eulin Crossing - Nice flat area by river with boat launch ramp. Large pool 6km long and very wide in some places. Water birds. Very popular spot.
Probably not large enough for camping but excellent for a picnic.
Condinup Reserve - Track off West Arthur Road, 500 metres north of Condinup Road. Track near boundary. Easy to miss. 33 46 20.3 S 116 31 03.6 E
State : Blackwood - Stirling
Federal : O'Connor
Postcode : 6244
Local Government : Shire of Boyup Brook
Click on a thumbnail to see full sized picture.