Frankland or Frankland River, is a small town located north west of Mount Barker. It is one of the many 'one horse' towns scattered around the south
west and although it does have a caravan facility there really isn't a great deal to see or do in town.
The area around the town produces olive oil, organic produce, raspberries and cool climate wines.
The town takes its name from the nearby river that was named by Dr. Thomas Wilson
in 1829 after the Surveyor General of Tasmania, George Frankland. During his exploration of the area Wilson climbed (and named) Mt. Lindesay. From the summit he noted three
other large hills which he named after the Surveyors General in each colony of Australia (Roe in W.A, Mitchell in N.S.W and Frankland in Tasmania.)
Land was set aside for a town in 1909 and a school was built but development was slow in coming. The town site was not gazetted until 1947. The Name Frankland River was used
until 1935 when it was shortened to just Frankland. The full name seems to be back in vogue again as the local government website appears to be using it again.
Early settlers grazed sheep in the area but little developed until after World War II.
TALL TALES AND TRUE
Name too long for sign
The story goes that the local postmaster shortened the name of Frankland River to just Frankland in 1935 because he had a sign post
that wasn't long enough to properly accommodate the full name.
Frankland River, Mount Frankland.
BUILDINGS OF NOTE
State : Blackwood-Stirling
Federal : O'Connor
Postcode : 6396
Local Government : Shire of Cranbrook
Click on a thumbnail to see full sized picture.