You would think with a name like 'Clackline' that the place would somehow be related to a railway
but it turns out that the origin of the name is unknown.
A townsite was gazetted in 1896 and it was an important railway junction, in fact it was at one time called Clackline Junction.
The town was a base for a number of railway maintenance workers but the railway was closed down in 1966 when a
new line was developed through the Avon Valley.
The original railway houses were removed but other buildings eventually took up some of the area they once occupied.
A school operated at Clackline from 1896 to 1954.
Lions Park marks the spot where the school buildings once stood. A memorial was erected by the staff and students in 1929
to mark the 100th anniversary of European settlement.
The bridge spanning Clackline Creek was built in 1935 and incorporates concrete, steel and wood.
14 metres of the 122 metre bridge is a steel span. It carried traffic on the Great Eastern Highway until 2008 when the
road was re-aligned.
Although Clackline was developed as a townsite, today there is nothing to speak of except a few houses, a community hall
and a single store.
There was meant to be a train museum housed in a railway carriage but we never saw any sign of it being open. The carriage
came from the Kalgoorlie Express train.
There has apparently been some refurbishment recently and in 2018 the carriage was turned in to a community post office.
The area is known for the production of high quality oaten (export hay), olive production and for some emerging wineries.
In 1898 John Ford and James Murray discovered good quality clay when prospecting for gold and so the Clackline Firebrick
Company was started in 1900.
It was said that there was an almost limitless supply of clay but the refractory closed down and its more recent history
has not yet been documented. The closure of the railway may have contributed to the closure of the brickworks but nothing
is known for certain.
The old brickworks is located a little north west of the townsite on Refractory Road. Although listed on the state's
heritage register, the site has been allowed to deteriorate and it has been badly vandalised.
Just east of Clackline is Eadine Springs. This is a fairy pleasant picnic area with BBQ, Shelter, seats and tables.
To the south east of Clackline is a memorial commemorating the crash of an Avro Anson aircraft on October 9th 1942.
There is a cairn of granite boulders supporting a jarrah cross. Flying Officer Lynton Birt, Sergeant Geoffrey Debenham,
Sergeant Noel Nixon, and Sergeant Kenneth Hugo were all killed in the crash. They were all RAAF airmen.
Access is via Spencer's Brook Road, Gooch Road, Tighe Road, Leeder Road and Avro Anson Road.
PROBLEM PLAYING THESE ON FIREFOX?
Turn off Enhanced Tracking Protection
Click the shield icon left of the URL near the top left
Slide Advanced Tracking Protection to OFF
Eadine Springs, Lions Park.
BUILDINGS OF NOTE
Bridge, Railway carriage, Store, Town hall, Lion monument, Avro Anson Memorial - Commemorates the deaths of Flying Officer Lynton Birt, Sergeant Geoffrey Debenham, Sergeant Noel Nixon, and Sergeant Kenneth Hugo.
All were airmen killed in the crash of a Avro Anson on October 9th 1942.
State : Central Wheatbelt
Federal : Pearce
Postcode : 6564
Local Government : Shire of Northam
Click on a thumbnail to see full sized picture.
Please note that using the https url will cause the photos not to show. To show photos use the standard http url.