In many respects Corrigin is a typical wheatbelt town with shops, a high school, churches and all the usual facilities.
One unusual thing about the town is the
where local dog owners lay their four legged family members to rest. There are over 80 pets at rest here and you
will find it west of the town just north of the main road.
Corrigin has been part of the 'Dog in a Ute' competition in which owners of dogs and utes (utility vehicles known as 'pick-ups' in the USA) join a procession in an attempt to
set a world record for the largest number of utes with dogs in them.
The first 'Dog in a Ute' competition was held in St Arnaud in Victoria in 1997. The inaugural record was 214 dogs in utes. Another town in Victoria (Terang) joined in the
fun and set the bar at 325. The first event held in Corrigin more than doubled the previous record with 699 dogs in utes. More importantly $20,000 was raised for the
Royal Flying Doctor Service. In 2000 Warrnambool raised the bar to 797 but Corrigin responded in 2002 and still holds the
record by doubling its own record with 1527 dogs in utes parading through the town on April 13, 2002. Over the years the event has been held, the total amount raised for
various charities exceeds $100,000.
It is to be hoped that ALL the dogs carried in utes everywhere are properly retrained as required by law - far too many dogs have been mutilated or killed by falls from utes in the past.
South of Corrigin on the road to Kondinin is
this is a good overnight rest area and a nice spot for a stroll.
The first lease in the area was taken up by D.G. Lynch in 1872 but very little development took place until after 1910. The first road board was established in 1913
and the railway came to the area in 1914.
Early settlers included Mr A. W. Goyder, Jack Crossland, Messars Gayfer and the Jose Brothers.
The townsite was first gazetted in 1913 as Dondakin. The local name of Corrigin was not adopted as it sounded too much like Korrijinn, but when Korrijinn became
Bickley, Dondakin became Corrigin in May 1914.
The name is Aboriginal in origin but the meaning is unknown.
A grain bulk handling facility was established in town in 1933 and the area is still prdominantly a wheat and sheep growing region.
The area has a long history of drought and flood cycles but still remains productive.
TALL TALES AND TRUE
Mac (Mr. MacDonald) was known to be a wee bit canny when it came to parting with 'brass'. He was said to have sold the local publican two Christmas turkeys
that were later found to have come from the pub's own poultry run.
On another occasion a traveler stayed with Mac for a few hours to rest his horse. When it came time to leave the reins could not be found. Mac was most sympathetic
and offered to sell the traveler his 'spare set' and it was not until later that night that the traveler realised he had bought his own reins.
Mac was credited with having the first car in town (a model T Ford) and ran a sort of taxi service. On one run he stopped at Bruce Rock on the way back to Corrigin
to refuel. Somehow he managed to put in turpentine by mistake and on the way home flames shot out of the exhaust pipe terrifying his passenger. "It won't catch us!"
Mac said and put his foot down on the accelerator. Mac, the car and his passenger all made the trip in one piece.
Bush towns seem to have had their fair share of practical jokers over the years. Perhaps it was just a good way of relieving the boredom.
At a dance one evening where mothers left their babies in prams outside in the cool evening air, some wag switched a couple of the youngsters and it wasn't
until the very surprised mothers got home that they found their children had 'changed sex'.
Another incident involved a visiting horse and cart. The owner was occupied (possibly imbibing at the local hotel) and emerged some time later to find the
horse had been moved to the other side of a fence, the carts shafts had been put through the fence and the horse re-attached.
One local (Mr. Lindsay) woke one morning to find he had a zebra. Someone had painted black stripes on his white horse.
PROBLEM PLAYING THESE ON FIREFOX?
Turn off Enhanced Tracking Protection
Click the shield icon left of the URL near the top left
Slide Advanced Tracking Protection to OFF
Pioneer Museum, Wildflowers, Granite outcrops
(Gorge Rock Pool),
Kunjin Animal Farm, Mallee Shed.
BUILDINGS OF NOTE
Town Hall, Road Board Office, Post Office, NAB Building, Banskwest building, St. Mathews.
State : Wagin
Federal : O'Connor
Postcode : 6375
Local Government : Shire of Corrigin
Click on a thumbnail to see full sized picture.
Please note that using the https url will cause the photos not to show. To show photos use the standard http url.