It may sound strange for an inland town but Kondinin is sometimes a popular place for water-skiing and sailing.
The nearby lake Kondinin is equipped with a boat ramp, but the lake can get too shallow if the rains are not good.
It is an odd country town, there are few historic buildings and many modern houses. It has very few shops in the town centre
and we fail to see what the attraction to the town is. There must be one because there are plenty of houses but precious little else.
The lake would make a good overnight stop for travellers and other alternatives such as Yeerakine Rock and McCann's Rock could
also be considered.
As with most of the wheat-belt, Kondinin is a centre for the wheat and sheep industry.
John Roe was the first European known to
have visited the area during an expedition he began in 1848.
In 1905, Michael Brown took up pastoral leases in the area and land was distributed for agricultural purposes from 1909.
The construction of a railway line in 1911 led to the building of a station at what was to become Kondinin. J. Graham built the first house
and shop in 1916 after the townsite was gazetted in 1915. The name is Aboriginal but the meaning is unknown.
TALL TALES AND TRUE
No information for this section yet. If you know of something we can add here please contact us and let us know.
Kondinin Bush Walk, JS Roe Heritage Trail, Granite and Woodlands Discovery Trail,
Woorkakanin Rock, Wildflowers during September and October, Kondinin Lake,
Pioneer Cemetry, Woorkakanin Rock, Bush school heritage trail, Kondinin Cottage, McCann's Rock,
BUILDINGS OF NOTE
Post office, Kondinin cottage 1923.
FAMOUS SONS AND DAUGHTERS
State : Wagin
Federal : O'Connor
Postcode : 6367
Local Government : Shire of Kondinin
Click on a thumbnail to see full sized picture.