Dalwallinu is located on the Great Northern Highway which serves as the inland road heading north to
Other towns located in the shire are Pithara, Kalannie, Buntine and Wubin.
The Shire offers a host of things to see and places to visit and many ideal locations for picnicking.
1. Vintage agricultural equipment in the main street of Dalwallinu.
2. The Old Well, from which the district's pioneers drew their water. This is situated at the town entrance.
3. McIntosh Park at Pithara, the site of the first fatal air crash in Western Australia. John Cowe Mcintosh flew from England to Australia in
1920. In 1921 he was giving joy-rides to locals when the single engine De Haviland crashed.
4. History House and the Landcare Centre at Kalannie.
5. Calibro School, a restored mud brick school house.
6. Petrudor Rocks is a wonderful picnic spot and a place to see wildflowers and native fauna. It is located 33 kilometres east of Pithara, just off the
Pithara-Kalannie Road. Toilets and BBQs available.
7. Wubin and Buntine Rocks - each of these rock areas
provide spectacular views and are a perfect picnic site.
8. Xantippe is a water catchment area, and a high point in the Shire which allows an expansive view of the broad acre land when at the top.
Within a radius of 100 kilometres of the town there are 185 species of acacia (wattle) this is believed to be the highest concentration of wattle species in the world.
The area is well known for its displays of wildflowers in August and September each year.
Dalwallinu has had a declining population for quite some time so in order to turn things around, the local shire set about encouraging people
from overseas to settle in the area. The scheme was very successful in its first 4 years and the town's population increased by 15%. People from
many countries including the Philippines, India, Burma, Thailand, China, Finland, Britain, Korea, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, Africa and New Zealand
now call Dalwallinu home.
The area was first settled in 1907 (One source quotes 1912). Sheep and wheat are the mainstay of the towns economy.
The name comes from an Aboriginal word which is said to mean 'grass' or 'good land'. (Another source gives the meaning as 'place to wait a while'.)
The Dalwallinu road board was established in 1916 and early life for settlers appears to have been very harsh. The areas first wheat crop was
sown by hand with a forked stick.
Originally a siding on the railway line between Wongan Hills and Mullewa, Dalwallinu was gazetted in 1914.
TALL TALES AND TRUE
No information for this section yet. If you know of something we can add here please contact us and let us know.
PROBLEM PLAYING THESE ON FIREFOX?
Turn off Enhanced Tracking Protection
Click the shield icon left of the URL near the top left
Slide Advanced Tracking Protection to OFF
Wubin Rocks, Buntine Rocks, Petrudor Rocks, Walk trails, Wildflowers.
BUILDINGS OF NOTE
Calibro School, Hotel, Road Board building, The Old Well.
State : Moore
Federal : Durack
Postcode : 6609
Local Government : Shire of Dalwallinu
Click on a thumbnail to see full sized picture.
Please note that using the https url will cause the photos not to show. To show photos use the standard http url.