Kalannie is located off the main tourist routes but is a neat, well maintained little town on the northern edge of the eastern wheatbelt.
Although the town dates from 1929, there are none of the old solid heritage buildings that you would normally associate with a town dating from the early 20th century.
The local industries are mostly wheat and sheep broad acre agriculture and the largest building in town is the wheat silo. There is a small family operated gypsum mine in the
area but it is not of great importance to the local economy.
A popular place to visit not far west of town is Pertrudor Rock. This is a flora and fauna reserve and is popular in springtime when the wildflowers are in bloom. There is a campsite
next to the rock and a toilet is available.
The Roche family built a house in 1912 and began wheat farming in 1914 but the area was struck by drought and WW1 began so the venture faced an uphill battle
Settlement closer to town dates from 1928 and the town was gazetted in 1929 when the railway arrived.
Initially the town's fortunes rested with wheat growing but in the 1930s, sheep and wool were added.
By 1930 there was a grocery shop, butcher, baker, garage, hall and a school in town.
In 1950 Jack Harding built the town's first power station. The following year the CWA started operating from a building in town.
The golf club first opened in 1957 and a bowling green was established in 1964.
In 1964 the comprehensive water scheme arrived and ensured that the town had a reliable (and safe) source of drinking water.
The first 'A' class wheatbin was built in 1963 and in 1967 'E' class bins were added.
A new hall was built in 1971 and mains power from the SEC was established in 1974.
In 1995 a kindergarten opened and in 1997 an ambulance and fire fighting vehicle were stationed in town.
The Telecentre (now Community Resource Centre) was established in 1999 and a sporting complex was constructed in 2000.
The town's name is Aboriginal in origin and is said to mean; 'Place of white stone for spears'.
TALL TALES AND TRUE
The story is told of a businessman who decided to start building his premises in a spot where he though the town would develop.
It turned out that the town developed just a bit too far away for the business to be a success.
The problem was solved when the building mysteriously caught fire and burned to the ground.
The new business (paid for by the insurance money) was then relocated to town.
BUILDINGS OF NOTE
State : Moore
Federal : Durack
Postcode : 6468
Local Government : Shire of Dalwalinu
Click on a thumbnail to see full sized picture.