The name Duranillin was first recorded by a surveyor in 1877 and referred to a nearby pool. Although it is Aboriginal in origin, the meaning is not known.
When the Collie to Wagin railway was constructed in 1916, Duranillin was one of the sidings that developed.
It was gazetted as a townsite in 1918.
The railway was the main reason for the town's existence but a timber mill operated by the Hughes family, was another major employer in the area.
There is a general store, liquor store and post office (all in one building) on Farrell Street. Other buildings include a farm agency supplier, and a hall.
The town is about 22km south of Darkan. Today it acts as a small trading post for the surrounding farms.
PROBLEM PLAYING THESE ON FIREFOX?
Turn off Enhanced Tracking Protection
Click the shield icon left of the URL near the top left
Slide Advanced Tracking Protection to OFF
BUILDINGS OF NOTE
Hall, Old school, Old garage and workshop.
State : Roe
Federal : O'Connor
Postcode : 6393
Local Government : Shire of West Arthur
Click on a thumbnail to see full sized picture.
Please note that using the https url will cause the photos not to show. To show photos use the standard http url.