Gillingarra is located along the Midlands Road not far north of Mogumber. It is pretty much a 'blink and you'll miss it' place
and consists only of a church, sportsground and a house or two.
The name seems to come from the Aboriginal word 'djurlingarraa' meaning place of bones. This came about when a young man and young woman eloped and were
caught by their tribe and speared here.
The land was leased for grazing in 1848 and was taken over by the monks at New Norcia in 1886.
Nearby Landmark Hill was surveyed by Alexander and John Forrest when they led an expedition to the area in 1874.
In 1893, land was sold in the area to help the Midland Railway Company build a rail line. The railway opened in 1897 and carried freight and passengers.
The last passenger train ran in 1975 and since then it has been used exclusievly to haul fright.
Our Lady of Mt. Carmel church and school opened in 1907 but was later lost due to a fire. A second school was opened in 1938 and closed in 1998.
A hall was constructed in 1936 and later expanded. Today it has become part of the recreation centre which opened in 1986.
St. Paul's community church opened in 1978.
Birdlife International has identified the area as an Important Bird area where the endangered Carnaby's black cockatoo breeds and a number of
other bird species thrive.
The recreation facility is available for travellers in motorhomes and caravans to overnight. There is a small fee charged and flushing toilets are available.
Best time to visit: