Guildford is located on a peninsula between the Swan and Helena Rivers. It was one of the earliest areas established in W.A. after
colonisation in 1829.
The name was given by James Stirling after
an area bearing the same name in Surrey, England.
The location was the furthest point up the Swan River that boats could easily navigate and so it quickly became an important centre for commerce.
A convict ticket-of-leave hiring depot was established in 1851 and was declared a municipality 20 years later.
From the 1880s Guildford's importance began to decline as the railway was routed through Midland Junction and river traffic fell away.
The town has connections with both World War One and Two as the 10th light Horse regiment established a horse remount facility at South Guildford
during WWI and American troops used Guildford Grammar buildings as the the 5th Station Military Hospital during WWII.
In 1944 an airport began operating in South Guildford.
The Guildford Council merged with the Swan Road Board to form the Swan-Guildford Shire in 1960 and in 1970 the Swan-Guildford Shire merged with the
Town of Midland to form the Shire of Swan.
In 1984 Guildford was declared a Historic Town and four heritage trails now run through the streets and parks.
Today the historic architecture and interesting heritage attract many visitors who then go on to visit the nearby Swan Valley.
Guildford is about 12km northeast of Perth city centre and although it was once a town in its own right, it is now part of the outer suburbs of the city.
PROBLEM PLAYING THESE ON FIREFOX?
Turn off Enhanced Tracking Protection
Click the shield icon left of the URL near the top left
Slide Advanced Tracking Protection to OFF
Heritage walks, Swan River, Museum of Natural History, Cradle of the Colony, Stirling Park, Fish-market Reserve,
BUILDINGS OF NOTE
Library, Town Hall, Post Office, Rose and Crown Hotel, Garrick Theatre, Guildford Hotel, St. Mathews church, Tindale House, Apothecaries Hall,
Bank of New South Wales Building, Village Markets Building, Council Chambers, Wesley Chapel, Mechanics Institute, Taylor's Cottage,
Old Gaol, Old Courthouse, Padbury Stores, Padbury House, St Charles' Seminary, Guildford Grammar School, Railway Station, St Mary's Catholic Church,
Primary School, Woodbridge Hotel.
State : Midland
Federal : Hasluck
Postcode : 6055
Website : City of Swan
Click on a thumbnail to see full sized picture.
Please note that using the https url will cause the photos not to show. To show photos use the standard http url.