The history of European settlement in Midland dates back to 1832. It remained mostly a farming area until the Midland Railway
began operating in 1891.
James Morrison sub-divided his land which was then put up for sale and the townsite of Midland Junction was established. It remained
with that name until 1961 when the 'Junction' part of the name was dropped.
It quickly became a transport hub with major routes leading east, west and north.
In 1895 the name Helena Vale was given to the municipality but it went back to being Midland Junction in 1901.
The Western Australian Government Railway Workshops were constructed between 1902 and 1904. During the Second World War part of the workshops
were used for the repair of naval equipment and an annexe was built to produce munitions. The workshops closed in 1994.
In 1914 the state abattoir was opened.
The town hall (built in 1906) that we see today received the 4 face clock that adorns its tower in 1923. The design is not exactly perfect as the large square block
on top of the dome does look somewhat too large and disproportionate.
In 1964 the Midland Railway was bought out by the state government and became the Western Australian Government Railways.
The town of Midland merged with Swan- Guildford in 1970 and became the Shire of Swan.
Midland is just 16 kilometres from the city of Perth and today is really just an outer suburb.
Despite a number of interesting and attractive heritage buildings, it is difficult to see Midland as attractive in itself. The street layout
is less than ideal and this is not helped by crowded looking dwellings on the north side and unattractive light industrial building on the south side.
There is a lot of redevelopment going on in Midland, so hopefully this will lead to a more attractive and inviting area.
PROBLEM PLAYING THESE ON FIREFOX?
Turn off Enhanced Tracking Protection
Click the shield icon left of the URL near the top left
Slide Advanced Tracking Protection to OFF
Nearby wineries, Caversham Wildlife Park, Farmers Market.
BUILDINGS OF NOTE
Town hall, Court house, Lotteries House, Masonic hall, Commercial tavern, West Australian Bank building, Railway institute,
Stella Maris Convent, Woodbridge House.
State : Midland
Federal : Hasluck
Postcode : 6056
Website : City of Swan
Click on a thumbnail to see full sized picture.
Please note that using the https url will cause the photos not to show. To show photos use the standard http url.