Gwambygine - Western Australia


GPS 31 58 22.91 S 116 48 41.78 E




Toilets available Tables and / or seats and / or shelters provided Fire places or BBQs available Water available Tent camping sites Pets allowed on leash Walk trails




Find us on Youtube     Find us on Facebook     Find us on Pinterest     Find us on Instagram     Support us on Patreon




Gwambygine is located about 10 km south of York on the Beverley road.

There are toilets, tables, chairs, BBQs and a boardwalk and lookout over the Avon River.

The reserve is situated next to one of the last remaining permanent pools in the river but unfortunately water quality is generally poor and swimming is not recommended.

The reserve is part of the Avon Ascent that features places of interest upstream of the town of Northam.

The pool is important for local fauna and bird species that are found in the area include; white faced heron, little pied cormorant, great egret, grey teal, blue wrens, kookaburras, pacific black duck and sacred kingfishers. Long necked tortoise may still inhabit the pool and the odd kangaroo is sometimes seen.

It is possible for motorhomes to overnight in the reserve but parking areas are not really suitable for large vehicles or caravans.

In the south end of the reserve is a marker showing where a school once operated (1908-1947).

Gwambygine is a pleasant place to visit in all but the hottest months of the year.

The name is Aboriginal in origin but the meaning is unknown.

European settlement in the area dates from about 1831 when John Burdett Wittenoom was granted land. Eventually his property was purchased by the government and sub-divided into blocks and called Gwambygine Estate.

A townsite was gazetted in 1902 but a town never really developed. A railway siding (initially called Hick's and then renamed Gwanbygine) was established in 1902.

Gwambygine Homestead (GPS 31 58 51 S 116 48 21 E) was at one time claimed to be the oldest continually occupied homestead in W.A. It's last owner, Brian Merton Clifton, died in 1998. The homestead fell into disrepair but in 2004 there was some interest in restoring the old building.

Serious efforts at restoration began in 2009 and by December 2010 the project was completed. Sadly, only a couple of months later, a huge storm substantially damaged the building and it took almost a year to repair the damage.

The homestead is open to the public every second Saturday of the month from April to October or by appointment.




Best time to visit:

















Become a supporter of this website for just $5 a month



Go to the Home Page Go to the Help Page Go to the Help Page

Western Australia Now and Then website - Copyright (c) 2019 - Marc Glasby. All rights reserved.