North Dandalup is located on the South West Highway between the towns of Serpentine and Pinjarra.
The town takes its name from the North Dandalup River. The name is known to be of Aboriginal origin but the meaning is unclear.
Facilities in the town include a tavern, primary school, hall, store and fuel station. New residential developments will mean the sleepy little town may soon have a complete chage of character.
Nearby North Dandalup Dam, has an excellent recreation area at the foot of the dam wall.
In 1869 there were reports of gold found in the area but nothing further came of it until more was found in 1896 and a mini gold rush was sparked off with some 60 prospectors working in the area.
No payable gold was found and the area quickly returned to its normal quiet self.
This was yet another siding on the South West Railway and the town site appears to have been privately owned. A spur line once ran up into the hills to a timber mill (Whittaker's).
A school site was set aside in 1899 and in 1915 a hall and recreation ground were built. Despite the town existing for many years, it was not formally gazetted until 1972.
North Dandalup Dam opened on October 28th 1994.
TALL TALES AND TRUE
No information for this section yet. If you know of something we can add here please contact us and let us know.
PROBLEM PLAYING THESE ON FIREFOX?
Turn off Enhanced Tracking Protection
Click the shield icon left of the URL near the top left
Slide Advanced Tracking Protection to OFF
North Dandalup Dam, Peel Inlet, Herron Point, Lake McLarty Nature Reserve, Lane Poole Reserve, Fairbridge.
BUILDINGS OF NOTE
State : Murray-Wellington
Federal : Canning
Postcode : 6207
Local Government : Shire of Murray
Click on a thumbnail to see full sized picture.
Please note that using the https url will cause the photos not to show. To show photos use the standard http url.