HEMA Map reference 76/E2
28° 11' 24" S 114° 15' 07" E
Buildings of note
Calendar of events
The old Sanford mill
the mouth of Hutt River (named after William Hutt *), the town supports a
small fishing industry.
Lynton convict depot.
This is the most intact convict hiring depot remaining in Western Australia. It is located a few kilometres south east of Port Gregory and is open to the public as is the nearby Sanford Homestead.
The convict depot was opened in 1853 and convicts from here were taken to work the lead mines 40 miles north east at Geraldine.
The depot did not survive due to the difficulties associated with living in the area and the lack of transport.
Just 500m from the depot is Captain Sanford's house, stables and mill. These buildings are slowly being restored and they provide a marked contrast to how the convicts and their pensioner guards had to live just out of sight around the hill.
The timber used in Stanford's house was mostly salvaged from flotsam washed up on the beach. The supporting beams along the balcony were once the masts of sailing ships.
Pink lakes are fairly common on the West Australian coast but not all live up to their names. This one, however does. The pink colour is due to the presence of Dunaliella salina, a bacteria that lives in the salt deposits. The bacteria is a source of beta carotene which is extracted from the lake by a commercial operation.
John Hutt (W.A.s
second Governor) had a brother called William who was involved in
establishing South Australia. The river was named in his honour by
George Grey as he passed
through the area on his epic walk to Perth.