Today Northampton is the centre of a large pastoral district.
Travellers are well catered for in Northampton with a choice of three pubs and an excellent facility for caravanners and motorhomers to stop during the day behind Hampton Park where there are toilets,
a dump point and a water tap for drinking water. The area is large enough for the biggest motorhome or bus to park easily while the occupants take a stroll through this heritage listed town. A brochure
on the local heritage trail is available from the local Visitor Centre located in the old police station.
Northampton is part of the Monsignor John Hawes Heritage trail that includes:
Bindoon - Christian Brothers College
Carnamah - Church of St. Andrew
Carnarvon - Church of St. Mary Star of the Sea
Geraldton - Francis Xavier Cathedral,
St. John of God Convent,
Church of St. Lawrence,
Melangata Station - Homestead.
Greenough - St. Peter's altar design
Kojarena - Church of St. James
Morawa - Church of the Holy Cross.
Mullewa - Our Lady of Mt. Carmel,
Nanson - Convent and school church Our Lady of Fatima
New Norcia - Hostel (alterations),
Northampton - Sacred Heart Convent,
Church of St. Mary in Ara Colei
Perenjori - St. Joseph's.
Tardun - Christian Brothers Agricultural school,
St. Mary's convent
Utakarra - San Spirito Chapel
Wiluna - Our Lady of Help Church school
Wonthella - St. Patrick's church hall
Yalgoo - St. Hyacinth.
Copper was discovered in the area in 1842 by Thomas Manson and lead was discovered in 1848. In 1849 the first railway in W.A. was completed, to take ore to the port at Geraldton. The railway continued to operate until 1957.
The area was first settled in 1848 when the main industry in the area was lead mining. The mine originally used convict labour, but later experienced miners were sought from England. There is a claim that this was the first lead mine in Australia. By 1877 the mine was producing over 4000 tonnes of lead and copper a year.
The town was declared in 1864 and was originally just called The Mines. It was renamed in 1871 and its present name is a combination of Northampton in England and John Stephen Hampton who was Governor of W.A. The Aboriginal name for the area was Wanerenooka.
Northampton boasted the first public railway in W.A. that ran south to Geraldton. It began operation in 1879 and the old railway station now houses a collection of railway memorabilia.
TALL TALES AND TRUE
Nothing available at present. If you have a story we can use, please email it to us.
PROBLEM PLAYING THESE ON FIREFOX?
Turn off Enhanced Tracking Protection
Click the shield icon left of the URL near the top left
Slide Advanced Tracking Protection to OFF
Old railway station, Chiverton House, Church of St Mary, Gwalla Church. Port Gregory, Pink Lake.
BUILDINGS OF NOTE
Miner's Arms Hotel 1868, Northampton Hotel 1900, Sacred Heart convent 1919, Chiverton House (c)1896, Family store 1890, Road Board office 1898, Railway Hotel 1876, Old police station 1882,
Anglican church 1908, Post office 1923, Roman Catholic church 1936.
State : Moore
Federal : Durack
Postcode : 6535
Local Government : Shire of Northampton
Click on a thumbnail to see full sized picture.
Please note that using the https url will cause the photos not to show. To show photos use the standard http url.