Also called ISLAND LAKE AUSTIN.
27 38 S 117 52 E
Located on an island in Lake Austin on the western side of the Great Northern Highway.
Explorer Robert AUSTIN originally named the lake Great Inland Marsh.
Gazetted in 1895.
Old name for WOODARRA.
Lake Side School
Dates from 1930.
1,135 ounce Golden Eagle nugget was found here in January 1931.
28 05' S 120 31' E
South of Agnew
Town site gazetted 1896
Peak population of 8,000 people.
Originally called EIGHT MILE
27 58' S 117 50' E
13 km from Mount Magnet
Gold discovered in 1894
The town site gazetted in 1898.
LEWIS & REID TIMBER MILLS FORWARD CAMP
Located near Collie. Timber mill.
Previously known as GRIFFITHSTON.
29 18' S 122 26' E
Located on the southern edge of Lake Carey
Gold found in 1895.
240kms NE of Kalgoorlie. At its height it had a population of 70. Very little remains today including an oven, the old mine and from more recent times this old Vauxall
Victa. (Courtesy Steve Mogridge).
Town gazetted in January 1897.
Linden (c) Steve Mogridge
LION TIMBER MILL
Former name of MOUNT HELENA
Located east of Midland Junction.
LOCKEVILLE TIMBER MILL
2.5 km north east of Wonnerup.
LUCKNOW TIMBER MILL
10 km south west of Collie.
Dates from about September 1909.
Destroyed by fire in 1912.
LUNENBURGH RAILWAY SIDING
Old name for FERNBROOK RAILWAY SIDING
LYALL'S TIMBER MILL
10 km south south west of Collie.
Dates from 1904.
The mill was destroyed by fire in February 1918 and rebuilt but destroyed again in March 1936. After the second fire the mill was only rebuilt to half its former size.
The mill closed in 1968.