This is a list of towns that were known to exist at one time but have since been abandoned. Before you hop in your 4x4 and rush out to see the old buildings you must remember that many of these places were not permanent settlements and most were in existence in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Few have any structures remaining to look at today. This list is given to show how many settlements grew up and were abandoned in W.A. it is a historic reference only and not a recommendation of places to go and look at. This shortened version was complied with the aid of a very detailed list compiled by the Morawa District Historical Society. That list includes much more detail and could be an important genealogical reference as many people who lived in these abandoned settlements are named in their list.
Alternative name for - BUNDAWADRA.
Declared a town site in 1900.
Gazetted on the 26th of November 1915.
A railway dam was constructed in 1913.
The names was changed to Eulaminna on 24 July 1907.
began from this area in January 1952.
Gazetted in 1895.
Bardoc is an Aboriginal word but the meaning is not known.
The town was surveyed and gazetted in 1896
BAXTER & PRINCE NUMBER 1 TIMBER MILL
3.5 Km SW of Donnybrook.
BAXTER & PRINCE NUMBER 2 TIMBER MILL
BAXTER & PRINCE TIMBER MILL
1 Km S of Kirup.
BEELA RAILWAY SIDING
Alternate name for CHAIN PUMP.
Alternate name for RANGE VIEW.
(C) Don Copley
Alternate names were JOKER and NOTTE'S FIND.
Located 13 Km south of
Gazetted in 1897.
7 Km NW of Mount Magnet.
Gazetted in 1897.
BORANUP RAILWAY SIDING
34 11.1' S 115 4.8' E
BORANUP TIMBER MILL
Originally called CHUBBLE.
Between Perenjori and Morawa.
Originally called BOYERINE.
33 29.8" S 17 24.6" E
Now known as TUCKANARRA.
Gazetted in 1899.
Originally called I.O.U.
34 Km E of Kalgoorlie.
Bulong was gazetted in 1895. The original name suggested
for the town was "Boolong", an Aboriginal name for a small soak nearby. The name
was adopted but was spelled "Bulong". In November 1893 a group of prospectors,
Kennedy, Henry, Hogan, Turnbull and Holmes were granted a lease that they called
30 km north east of Leonora off the Leonora - Laverton Road.
Virtually no sign that the town existed now.
1913 Fotball team
Originally called MEROLIA.
20 Km SW of Laverton.
On the railway line between Menzies and the abandoned town of Malcolm.
Originally name - SPEAKMAN'S FIND.
60 Km SW
30 10.6' S 121 08.9' E
closed in 1962.
CARINYAH FORESTRY SETTLEMENT
Original name - DELANEY'S REEF
South of Perenjori
Between Lake Campion and Lake Andler in Nungarin Shire.
Originally called BOWGADA.
CLAYMORE TIMBER MILL
30 Km S
Widely used name for SHELLBOROUGH.
Original name for KUDARDUP
60 Km SW of Marble Bar
Original name for KUNDIP
Siding opened 1913 and closed in 1951
Junction of Duck Creek and the Ashburton River in the
CORK TREE FLAT
Original name for TUCKANARRA
Also known as Wilson's Patch
28 19' 14 S, 121 09' 55 E.
Half way between Leonora & Leinster, Western Australia.
An experiment in remote housing for Aboriginal people.
Find out more at : http://www.wilja.asn.au/
(C) Max Jefferies
Alternate name for MOUNT MARGARET
Name that replaced DEAD FINISH
Original name for - DOYLES WELL.
Original name for WOODARRA.
First called DAVYSTON and MACE'S FIND
Originally called BUNDAWADRA
6 Km from Cue
Later called CARLAMINDA.
On the railway between Wonnerup and
DONNELLY RIVER TIMBER MILL
34 6.1' S 115 58.6' E
DUNCAN'S TIMBER MILL
20 Km ENE of Dwellingup
DYKES TIMBER MILL
EAST KIRUP TIMBER MILL
EAST MOUNT MAGNET
Original name for PAYNESVILLE.
2 Km E of
34 Km SW of Yalgoo
ELLIS CREEK TIMBER MILL
13 Km ENE of
GABANINTHA and PORLELL are very close to each other and were often mistaken for each other despite the difference in names.
26 55' S 118 39' E 40Km SE of
Gazetted in November 1898. Town lots remained un-surveyed until 1905.
GALILEA MISSION - CARNARVON AREA
Welsh born, Edward John Brown GRIBBLE was selected to start this mission in 1885.
See Carnarvon for more on his story.
Originally called GARDNERS WELL.
See GALENA above.
GOODWOOD TIMBER MILL
10Km W of
Originally called 90 MILE or ROARING GIMLET.
(C) Derek Graham
Originally name for YUNDAMINDERA.
Original name for LINDEN.
The townsite was gazetted in 1898.
Gullewa Spring was first recorded by John Forrest in 1873.
(c) Jannifer Harris
Gutha siding was established in 1913. Gazetted a town site in 1914.
37 km east of Yarloop.
Later known as KUNDIP.
9 Km north of east of Jarrahwood.
Original name for MULGARRIE.
6 km south west of Donnybrook near the railway line between
58 km north of Norseman on the railway line between Norseman
Abandoned in the 1920s.
HIT OR MISS
Original name for MULGARRIE.
Located near the head of the Bancell Creek. 15 km east of
HOFFMAN No. 2 TIMBER MILL
Located by the Harvey River south east of Hoffman No. 1 Mill 29 km from Yarloop
On Tallanalla Road. Closed in 1933 then re-opened and closed
again in 1964.
32 42.9' S 116 5.6' E
3 km east of
HOTHAM TIMBER MILL
32 48.3' S 116 19.8' E
26 km east south east of
on the old State railway to Boddington.
Original name for BULONG.
Original name for ST. IVES.
THE ISLAND LAKE AUSTIN
An alternate version of LAKE AUSTIN.
(C) Caroline Brocx
Alternate version of MOUNT JACKSON.
115 km north north east Southern Cross
JARRAHDENE TIMBER MILL
14 km north of Karridale.
Closed in 1913.
Located on the Williams to Kulin Railway close to the
junction of the Williams - Kulin Road and Jitarring South Road.
Alternate name for BILBERATHA.
20 km north east of Kalgoorlie.
Another source suggests that the mine was started in 1894 under the name of Day Dawn.
The town was gazetted in December 1894.
The population in 1897 was about 2500 and increased to 12500 by 1899.
Virtually nothing remains today but a few foundations.
Kanowna railway station
Kanowna fire brigade
White Feather Mine
50 km north of Leinster.
KLONDYKE TIMBER MILL
Was located on a spur line of the Millars Bros. timber lines
east of Yarloop.
Also known as No. 4 Mill.
Original name of TENINDEWA.
(C) Derek Graham
Kununalling as it once was
Also known as HARBOUR VIEW and COONDIP.
Located between Ravensthorpe and Hopetoun.
Surveyor Alfred. W. Canning proposed the name Coondip, and a town reserve was set in June 1901.
Gazetted in 1902 and the spelling was changed to Cundip.
Railway arrived in 1909. The town struggled on until 1950.
Gold was found here in 1894. By 1901 the population was 262.
Also known as DIORITE KING.
40 km north west of Leonora.
Town site surveyed by H. S. King in 1897 and gazetted in 1899.
Kurrajong an Aboriginal name for a type of tree.
Kurrawang School 1907
Also called ISLAND LAKE AUSTIN.
Located on an island in Lake Austin on the western side of
the Great Northern Highway.
Old name for WOODARRA.
Lake Side School
1,135 ounce Golden Eagle nugget was found here in January 1931.
South of Agnew
Town site gazetted 1896
Peak population of 8,000 people.
Originally called EIGHT MILE
13 km from Mount Magnet
The town site gazetted in 1898.
Located near Collie. Timber mill.
Previously known as GRIFFITHSTON.
Located on the southern edge of Lake Carey
Town gazetted in January 1897.
LION TIMBER MILL
Former name of MOUNT HELENA
Located east of Midland Junction.
LOCKEVILLE TIMBER MILL
2.5 km north east of Wonnerup.
10 km south west of Collie.
Destroyed by fire in 1912.
LUNENBURGH RAILWAY SIDING
Old name for FERNBROOK RAILWAY SIDING
The mill was destroyed by fire in February 1918 and rebuilt but destroyed again in March 1936. After the second fire the mill was only rebuilt to half its former size.
The mill closed in 1968.
TOWNS STARTING WITH 'M'
Later known as DAVYHURST.
Also called 36 MILE POLICE STATION.
Located on the north shore of Lake Austin 15 km south of Cue
Gold was discovered in 1892 and the town site was gazetted in 1898.
Originally called Mount Malcolm
28 56' S 121 31' E
20 km east of Leonora on the Laverton road.
The name is from the nearby Mount Malcolm named by John Forrest. in 1869 after Malcolm Hamersley who was with Forrest.
The town site was gazetted in 1897
In 1900 there were a number of stone buildings in the town. Kerosene street lamps were in use and there was even a swimming pool.
In 1903 there were 210 buildings in the town and the population reached 450.
Steam traction engine
Located between Roebourne and Port Hedland.
The population in 1890 was 120.
Townsite gazetted in 1896.
North of Nungarin
Charles Frederick Adams took up residence in 1874.
Continued to operate until 1927.
23 km south of Coorow.
Townsite gazetted in 1927.
Alternate spelling of MARRINUP.
Located on the Pinjarra to Dwellingup railway.
MARRINUP TIMBER MILL
Operated from about 1910 to 1936 with some periods of closure between.
Previously known as POCANMAYA.
Located on the railway between WUBIN and LATHAM.
Early name for NOONGAL.
Early name for BURTVILLE.
29 km north east of Leonora.
Townsite gazetted in 1899.
Abandoned by 1910.
MILLBROOK RAILWAY SIDING
Timber Mill built by William Atkins.
Abandoned by 1924.
Tom Paine pegged the first two mining leases in 1904.
Located between the towns of Woodanilling and Katanning on
6.5 km south east of Wokalup.
Alternate name for - MOUNT MORTIMER.
Original name for MULWARRIE.
100 km east south east of Leonora.
The name originates with John Forrest.
Gazetted in May 1898.
Also known as JACKSON.
Early name for MALCOLM.
Alternate name for CRAIGGIEMORE.
28 49' S 122 10' E
Located between Leonora and Laverton.
Gold was discovered here but the date is uncertain as it is listed as between the 1880s and 1892.
Town site gazetted in May 1897.
71 km east north east of Leonora.
Named after E. A. Morgans who later became Premier of Western Australia.
Gazetted in December 1899.
Mostly abandoned by 1937
Alternate name for MOUNT DAWSON.
Mount Mortimer south of the
MOUNT SIR SAMUEL
see SIR SAMUEL
see NEDS WELL.
Alternate spelling of MUDDEDA POOL.
Alternate spelling of MUDDADA POOL.
Previously known as HAYE'S FIND or HIT OR MISS.
40 km north of Kalgoorlie.
40 km west of Menzies
Gazetted in 1897
Store and Bank
Previously known as MOUNT HIGGINS.
50 km south west of Menzies.
Gazetted in September 1900.
see STAKE WELL.
see STAKE WELL.
Abandoned by 1895
16 km south west of Kalgoorlie on the old railway to Coolgardie.
Gazetted in December 1897 as Mungarri. Name changed to MUNNGARI in 1904. It was not until 1974 that MUNGARI was used.
A military training camp was located there in WWI
Alternative spelling of MUNGARI.
50 km east of Leonora.
NALLAN RAILWAY SIDING
On the old railway between Cue and Meekatharra (276 mile 75
NANGA BROOK TIMBER MILL
30km south south west of Meekatharra.
Gazetted in 1893
Alternate spelling of - NANNOWTHARRA.
Alternate name for MOYAGEE.
South of Cue.
Older name for YARRI.
Alernate name for NEWLANDS TIMBER MILL
33 40.1' S 115 52.6' E
On the old railway between Donnybrook and Kirup.
Gazetted in 1896.
Originally called MELVILE
12 km north of Yalgoo
10 km north of Dalwallinu.
Dates from 1913
Gazetted in 1914.
2 km north of Nungarin railway siding.
Also called BLACK RANGE.
14 km south of
4.8 km north Lawlers.
Called this after Nunngarra was erected. Probably not what it was originally called.
Located between the Mount Magnet and Lawlers.
Gold mining town.
Ernest E. Shillingham, George Ralph, Thomas Wright, John McIntyre and A. Frenchy Angelo found gold in 1894 and for some reason were credited with the find here.
More gold was discovered in 1903 triggering a gold rush.
ONSLOW - old town
21° 38' S 114° 50' E
Near the mouth of the Ashburton River.
Settlement dates from 1866-7 but didn't really get established properly until the 1870s.
The old town dates from 1885.
Sir Alexander Campbell Onslow K.B. was the source of the name.
It was never a good deep-water port and a new location was selected in 1922.
(C) Max Jefferies
Original name of WILROY.
P.W.D. TIMBER MILL
15 km south east of Dwellingup.
Once connected by rail to Amphion Siding on the old state railway line to Boddington.
Some of the mines were the Pakeha, Mt. Corlic, Star of
W.A. and Paddington Consuls mine. The latter was the largest in the area
employing 4-500 men. Closed down in 1901.
Earlier names: PAYNTON - FORDS - EAST MOUNT MAGNET.
77 km east of
By April 1899 locals were using the name Paynesville.
Named after Tom Payne.
Early name for PAYNESVILLE.
25° 38' S 118° 43' E
120 km of
The names originates from Peak Hill in New South Wales.
The townsite was gazetted in 1897.
(C) Don Copley
Former name of PENNYWEIGHT POINT.
Also spelled PINDINNIS SOAK.
Appears to date from around 1895 when there was a mud hut and attacxhed garden about 200 metres from the soak.
Gazetted as a 300 acre Reserve in November 1896.
Formerly called PENDINNIE.
Called NUNYARRA by the Aboriginies.
Early mines included Hands Across the Bar, Nine of Hearts,
PINDALUP RAILWAY SIDING
Alternate spelling of - PENDINNIE SOAK.
13 km north of
Gold mining area.
See PLAVINS TIMBER MILL.
8.7 km east south east of
Dwellingup on the old State
railway line to
Originally called STAR OF THE EAST also STAR.
26° 56' S 118° 36' E
23 km east of the abandoned town of Nannine.
The name Porlelle was originally suggested (after a small nearby lake) but the spelling was amended to Porlell and the townsite was gazetted in November 1899.
11 km east of Roelands near the Coalfields road.
16 km north north east of
Alluvial gold was discovered in August 1901.
QUINDALUP TIMBER MILLS
30° 50' 10.76 S 116° 16' 05.97 E
Located on the Great Northern Highway between New Norcia and Walebing.
Buildings at the settlement included the Victoria Plains
Hotel (8 rooms + 3 rooms detached), Stable 60ft x 24ft, General Store & Building
(6 rooms), Blacksmith's shop (2 rooms), Carpenter's Shop, Bootmaker's shop,
Hall (appeared later) – moved to a farm in Miling and also a racecourse, Sports
Club, (Garden, Vineyard – possibly associated with hotel)
(C) Caroline Brocx
(c) Jennifer Harris
This page is still in development, more to come shortly.