Gingin is a pretty little town about 4km off the main highway. Historic buildings, and a central park and pool make the slight detour worth while.
The area is primarily involved with agriculture and various enterprises include olive growing, fruit, beef, sheep and cereal cropping.
Word has it that the local authorities do not like free camping in the area and on the spot fines are issued.
Gravity Discovery Centre
Gravity is something we all take for granted but it is a force that is vital. At the Gravity Discovery Centre you can learn about gravity through a number of hands on
exhibits and interactive displays. Science can be both useful and fun. Phone 08 9575 7577 or visit the website
for more information.
Settlement in the area dates from the 1830s after Robert Dale and Edward Barrett-Lennard
stumbled across the area while looking for stray cattle.
George Fletcher Moore's map of the area (made in 1836)
shows the name 'Jinjin' but a later survey by W L Brockman in 1843 shows the spelling as 'Gingin'. The name may mean 'footprint' or possibly 'place of streams.'
The first school in Gingin opened on the 18th of August 1862 and a festival was held to celebrate the occasion. The school opened and closed and changed location over the next
few years and the education of local children seemed to be a bit hap-hazard until 1881 when things started to settle down and teacher was found who would stay for the next 9 years.
Initially it was suggested that the new townsite be called Frogmore but this was dismissed by the locals. Granville was then suggested and a townsite (about 3.5 kilometres from the
current site) gazetted in 1869. Only two of the 134 town lots were purchased as the site was not popular with locals. Finally a new townsite called Gingin was gazetted in 1883.
In 1886 a telegraph line to Perth was completed and in 1891 the railway arrived.
Most towns started off with a 'Road Board' that was responsible for collecting taxes and using the proceeds to build bridges and roads in their allotted zones. These boards then progressed
to become local councils with responsibility for much more than just roads. In the case of Gingin the town had both a Road Board (1893) and a Municipal Council. The town was far too
small to support both and in the end the Council was dissolved (1903) and its assets and responsibilities taken over by the Road Board.
In the early days Gingin developed a beef and dairy industry and in the early 1900s became famous for the production of oranges. Today sheep, wheat and cattle are the areas main industries.
TALL TALES AND TRUE
John Death (an appropriate name as it turns out) worked for Joshua Edwards and had a small shack where he kept his belongings.
On a number of occasions his hut was raided by Aborigines while he was away and flour, tea, tobacco and the like were taken.
Death placed a sign in front of his hut stating 'NOTICE. POISON FLOUR MEAL' and he even informed the local policeman that he had the strychnine laced flour to get rid of wild dogs.
Of course the inevitable happened and the Aborigines ' who could not read the sign ' stole the flour and a young child died as a result.
Death was charged over the matter but no records can be found to shed light on the outcome of the case. Death drowned in Gingin Brook in 1872.
Moondah Brook Vineyard, Walkabout trail, Dewar's House, Granville, West Coast Honey, Gravity Discovery Centre, British car rally on the third Sunday of May.
BUILDINGS OF NOTE
St. Luke's, Brockman & Weld Sts. 1861, Old railway station 1891, Uniting church 1870.
State : Moore
Federal : Pearce
Postcode : 6503
Local Government : Shire of Gingin
Click on a thumbnail to see full sized picture.