Guilderton is Situated at the mouth of the Moore River. The name is said to be derived from the wreck of the Gilt Dragon which foundered off the coast in
1656. 75 members of the crew reached shore and seven sailed to Batavia for help. Subsequent rescue missions failed to find any trace of the 68 survivors.
Locally the town is often referred to as Moore River.
It is a VERY popular destination for holiday makers in peak times and can get crowded and noisy. Outside peak times it is a lovely quiet, picturesque town
that is a wonderful spot to just relax, fish, walk and enjoy the scenery.
High sand dunes along the sides of the Moore River are very popular with sand boarders who climb to the top and then slide all the way down into the river.
Not far south of the Guilderton turn off on Indian Ocean Drive is a nice rest area on the north east side of the river. There are toilets, seats and tables
for travellers to use.
The town site was gazetted in 1951 but the area had been in use as a holiday destination from the early 1900s. A picnic and camping reserve was formally
created in 1907.
The Guilderton lighthouse was completed in 1984 and is the last lighthouse to be constructed in W.A.
Henrietta Drake-Brockman is credited with recommending the town's name after 40 17th-century Dutch guilder coins were found in the sand hills in 1931.
TALL TALES AND TRUE
No information for this section yet. If you know of something we can add here please contact us and let us know.
PROBLEM PLAYING THESE ON FIREFOX?
Turn off Enhanced Tracking Protection
Click the shield icon left of the URL near the top left
Slide Advanced Tracking Protection to OFF
(c) VB Ed
Coastal scenery, Lighthouse, Moore River.
BUILDINGS OF NOTE
State : Moore
Federal : Pearce
Postcode : 6041
Local Government : Shire of Gingin
Click on a thumbnail to see full sized picture.