Km from Perth
08 9684 1241
08 9684 1288
Museum, Koorda reserve, Badgerin Rock,
Noorajin Soak, Kularin Soak, Mt. Collier, Samphire, Mollerin Rock, Yowerda,
Moningarin Soak, Nugget Water Hole.
Buildings of note
Calendar Of Events
Corn dolly festival and agricultural show.
John Septimus Roe
led an expedition east of the Avon Valley, searching for new pastoral land.
One of his camps was located a few miles north of where the town of Koorda
is today, and was inhabited by nomadic farmers and sandalwooders until the
first settlers arrived in the early 1900's.
settlement was based on the 'conditional purchase' system where a homestead
block of 160 acres was granted and a further larger block of around 1000
acres was granted based on improvements being made within a certain time.
major drought in the area took place in 1911 and the Government responded by
sinking a series of wells through out the district.
With the arrival of the railway in 1917, the township became established,
and wheat and sheep farming flourished. The name, like so many others, is of
Aboriginal origin and may mean 'married person'.
just a railway workers campsite, the township gradually developed and all
the usual facilities including General Store, Post Office, Blacksmith,
Butcher, Baker and Greengrocer all appeared. Like many small country towns
there were few recreational facilities in the early years. Initially it was
all about getting established and apart from a town hall and a church most
towns only developed other recreational projects like bowling clubs and
swimming pools once the town had been established for quite some time.
Until scheme water arrived in Koorda in 1958, one of the most precious
commodities in the wheat belt was water. Many of the dams, rock catchments,
tanks and community sheep dips that were established in these early years
still exist today (eg. Dunt's Dam, Mollerin Rock, Newcarlbeon, Lake
Margarette and Kularin).
Koorda has a number of lovely old buildings. The Koorda Museum was
originally a hospital, and it bears witness to this past with displays of
historical hospital and surgical equipment in one of the original wards. You
can also view displays of farm machinery and homestead effects used by the
area's early pioneers.
The current Post Office, first opened in 1937, still operates in its
original form. The CWA Community Centre in Railway Street, originally the
Koorda Shire Council, is also close to its original structure, as is the
Koorda Hotel, popular with artists because of its imposing architecture. The
Pioneer Hall and Avenue of Trees is part of the Koorda Heritage Trail, a 2km
town walk which commemorates the contribution of Koorda's pioneers to the
development of the district.
There are numerous scenic areas to stop, most with public barbecue
facilities. Mollerin Rock, Newcarlbeon and Badgerin Rock are popular spots
to enjoy the surroundings and perhaps see some of the local inhabitants -
kangaroo, echidna, and dozens of bird varieties. The Lions Park is a popular
picnic stop in town.
Each spring, the wildflowers turn the reserves surrounding Koorda into a
carpet of colour. Many examples of the various wildflower species found
around Koorda can be seen at the Wildflower Park (part of the Koorda
Heritage Trail), a 10km drive from town.
This privately-owned 28 hectare park has public barbecue facilities
available for visitors. Wildflowers can also be viewed at Wheat belt Dried
Flowers. (Phone 08 9684 3025 for an appointment).
Early in September, Koorda hosts its annual Agricultural Show, which brings
together past and present Koorda residents, along with a large number of
visitors. The show features many agricultural events and displays, including
the "Corn Dollies", the emblem of the shire.
making is an ancient craft, originating in the days when it was
believed a spirit lived in the cornfields. To care for the spirit at harvest
time, and ensure the success of the following year's harvest, a corn dolly
was made for the spirit to rest in. Frank Lodge (who came from Durham in
England) is credited with bringing the first corn dolly to this area in
1911. The local Agricultural Society conducts workshops on corn dolly