Cadoux is located 47 kilometres east of Wongan Hills. It is barely more than a wheat bin and a few houses but it has one of the largest
recreation facilities around for a town its size.
Wheat and sheep farming are the main industries in the area.
The town is very small but still manages to include a shop, church, primary school, primary school, volunteer fire brigade fire station and recreation centre. There is also a
Cooperative Bulk Handling storage facility.
The the Recreation facility has 2 tennis courts, indoor basketball court, meeting and kitchen area, BBQ, playground, cricket oval and golf course.
The name originally suggested for the town was Cado after the farmer who had once owned the land the first railway siding was built on in 1927.
It turned out that the farmer's name was in fact Donald Cadoux and he was French-Canadian. He had settled in the area in 1909.
Donald enlisted in the Australian army and had died in the fighting at Gallipoli and the naming of the town after him was thought to be a fitting memorial.
The town site was gazetted in 1929.
Cadoux was badly damaged by a 6.1 magnitude earthquake on June 2nd 1979. Almost 4 million dollars damage was done but only one person (a young child) was injured.
TALL TALES AND TRUE
No information for this section yet. If you know of something we can add here please contact us and let us know.
Nothing available at this time.
BUILDINGS OF NOTE
State : Central Wheatbelt
Federal : Durack
Postcode : 6466
Local Government : Shire of Wongan-Ballidu
If photos are available, click on a thumbnail to see full sized picture.