A rather nondescript town in the north eastern wheatbelt, Kununoppin does not have a great deal to attract the casual tourist.
There are a series of sculptures placed around town and a useful rest area but the town itself seems to be in a period of decline.
As rural populations have fallen and travel between towns has become easier, small centres like this have seen a long period
of slow decline as people move away to larger centres and services are gradually withdrawn.
In 1887 Charles Glass discovered a gold laden piece of quartz but nothing else was found. It was thought that the original find may have
been carried to the area by an emu or an Aborigine.
The town was originally just a railway siding on the Dowerin to Merredin railway and was gazetted
as a town site in 1911.
The original spelling was recorded as 'Coonoonoppin' during surveys in 1908.
TALL TALES AND TRUE
No information for this section yet. If you know of something we can add here please contact us and let us know.
BUILDINGS OF NOTE
Old store, Post Office, Bank of NSW building.
State : Central Wheatbelt
Federal : Durack
Postcode : 6489
Local Government : Shire of Trayning
Click on a thumbnail to see full sized picture.