Miling is at the centre of a rich agricultural area and the huge grain silos in town mark this as one of the biggest grain receival centres in W.A. with over 100,000 tonnes of
grain passing through each year. Farming in the area dates from 1906 and a railway siding named Marne was established in 1925.
Although it is quite a small town there is a caravan facility for travellers and the hotel was re-opened in 2012. There is even a local golf club, cricket club and tennis club.
The town is located on the Great Northern Highway between Walebing and Pithara.
Early development was around the Duckling Mining Spring (also listed as Dookling Marling Sand Hole) about 8 kilometres north of the current town. The town's name derives
from the fact that one of the locals changed a sign from Mining Spring to Miling Spring and the name change stuck. Where the duckling part came from is anyone's guess.
One source says that the name originated from a nearby spring known as Marling Sand Hole but another states that Duckling Mining Spring was the source and that the
'Duckling' part was dropped as locals didn't like being referred to as 'ducklings' and that 'Mining' was accidentally changed to 'Miling' as per the story above.
Henry Seymour was one of the earliest settlers in the area and became known as the 'father of Miling'.
A school was constructed in 1923 and the first town hall was constructed in 1929. In 1930 the school closed due to a lack of students and only re-opened in 1934.
The local hotel, built by Paddy Connelly dates from 1934. The town was gazetted in 1949.
A new town hall and a Roman Catholic church were built in 1954 followed by an Anglican church in 1960.
TALL TALES AND TRUE
Wheat bag stacking record
On December 12th 1927 Bill Cestrilli set a record for stacking bags of wheat that has never been broken. He stacked 1,725 bags in 8 hours. The equates to moving 143 tonnes of wheat.
PROBLEM PLAYING THESE ON FIREFOX?
Turn off Enhanced Tracking Protection
Click the shield icon left of the URL near the top left
Slide Advanced Tracking Protection to OFF
BUILDINGS OF NOTE
Hotel 1934, Hall 1929, Roman Catholic church 1954, Anglican church 1960.
State : Moore
Federal : Durack
Postcode : 6575
Local Government : Shire of Moora
Click on a thumbnail to see full sized picture.
Please note that using the https url will cause the photos not to show. To show photos use the standard http url.