Narrikup is located south of Mount Barker, 377 kilometres from Perth, the town dates back to 1922.
The name is an Aboriginal word meaning 'place of swamps'. (Another source quotes 'place of abundance')
Despite the origins of the name the town is neat and attractive and has won the Plantagenet Shire's Inter-Tidy Town competition six times.
Sheep and cattle farming were important in the district since the early days of European settlement but these activities are now supplemented by
Orchards, forestry, wildflower farms, vineyards and even alpaca and ostrich farming.
Narrikup is a small town that includes a post office, general store/cafe, community hall, playground, sports facilities, park and picnic areas.
Royal Navy surgeon Thomas Braidwood Wilson camped on the bank of
a stream west of the current townsite in 1829.
The first agricultural ventures in the area date from the 1860s but the area did not see a lot of new development until after the arrival of the railway.
Sam Jolly began the first business in the area in 1919 and as his business grew he moved to a larger premisis in 1922. The building is still in use today.
The railway arrived in 1889 and a siding known as Hay River was constructed. Land was set aside near the siding for a townsite in 1891 but it was not gazetted until 1907.
TALL TALES AND TRUE
No information for this section yet. If you know of something we can add here please contact us and let us know.
BUILDINGS OF NOTE
State : Blackwood-Stirling
Federal : O'Connor
Postcode : 6326
Local Government : Shire of Plantaginet
Click on a thumbnail to see full sized picture.