Aldersyde is now little more than a hamlet consisting of a wheat-bin, a few houses, a church and a CWA hall.
The area is primarily a cereal cropping district and the large grain handling facility in town is just one of many scattered through the landscape.
A townsite was established on the Brookton-Kunjin Railway when land was resumed from four existing properties in 1913.
Mr Frederick Pyke had named his property Aldersyde and that was the name chosen for the new town when it was gazetted in 1915.
Other names that were suggested for the town were Nuralgin and Markegin.
A school opened on November 23rd 1925 and was initially held in the town hall. The first teacher was Miss E. A. Brinkworth.
When the Markegin school closed the building was moved to Aldersyde and opened on February 3rd 1928. It closed in 1968 and today
only a small memorial plaque marks the spot where it once stood.
TALL TALES AND TRUE
Nothing currently available for this section. If you know a good story about the town please let us know.
PROBLEM PLAYING THESE ON FIREFOX?
Turn off Enhanced Tracking Protection
Click the shield icon left of the URL near the top left
Slide Advanced Tracking Protection to OFF
Mourumbine heritage trail,.
BUILDINGS OF NOTE
Hall, Pioneer Memorial Church 1954, Old blacksmiths shed.
State : Wagin
Federal : O'Connor
Postcode : 6306
Local Government : Shire of Brookton
Click on a thumbnail to see full sized picture.
Please note that using the https url will cause the photos not to show. To show photos use the standard http url.