The area around the town is highly productive with agricultural produce like wheat reaching over 43,000 tonnes a year, wool over 2.5 million
kg and lupins over 19,000 tonnes per annum. Today the town is also known for the production of cattle and pigs.
The origins of the name are known to be Aboriginal but some conjecture exists about the real meaning. The most romantic is 'many mists'.
The area was settled by William and Sarah Long in the 1860s. (One source quotes 1852 and yet another quotes 1842 but we think 1862 is the correct date)
The name seems to have come from a nearby spring and may mean 'place of many mists' or may refer to the portulacca plant.
originally recorded the name as 'Curro'.
The townsite was gazetted in 1893 and the railway arrived in 1894. (One source says the townsite was not gazetted until 1911 but we cannot find
evidence to back that up.) A school was established in 1912 and the first classes (for 8 students) were held in a tent. The town was served by a single shop until about
1920. A hotel was built in 1930 and there was no post office in the town until 1956 The first church appeared in 1959.
The town has ocassionally been subjected to floods, notably in 1918 and in 1932.
TALL TALES AND TRUE
No information for this section yet. If you know of something we can add here please contact us and let us know.
PROBLEM PLAYING THESE ON FIREFOX?
Turn off Enhanced Tracking Protection
Click the shield icon left of the URL near the top left
Slide Advanced Tracking Protection to OFF
From MRGTV YouTube Channel
Waddi Well. Alexander Morrison National Park, Long Homestead, Town park.
BUILDINGS OF NOTE
State : Moore
Federal : Durack
Postcode : 6515
Local Government : Shire of Coorow
Click on a thumbnail to see full sized picture.
Please note that using the https url will cause the photos not to show. To show photos use the standard http url.