HIGHBURY

 

Highbury

GPS 33 03 25 S 117 14 18 E

 

 

 

 

Narrogin

Nearby Towns

Wagin

 

GOOGLE IS TRYING TO DESTROY THIS WEBSITE BECAUSE WE WILL NOT RUN THEIR ADS. WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT.

Find us on Youtube     Find us on Facebook     Find us on Pinterest     Find us on Instagram     Support us on Patreon

 

PLEASE HELP TO SUPPORT THIS WEBSITE
Join us on Patreon.
Visit our You Tube Video Page.
Buy one of our PDF books.
Let others know where to find us via social media or
Make a small donation via PayPal

 

DESCRIPTION

 

Highbury is a small town located between Narrogin and Wagin on the Great Southern Highway.

It was originally named Wolwolling after Wolwolling Pool, 7km south east of the town.

It started life as a railway siding and was gazetted in 1905. Locals were not happy with the name and proposed to call it either Linton, Highbury or Scottdale. Linton was apparently the favoured name but somehow it became Huighbury in 1906. Possibly because the locality of Lynton already existed in the Mid-West.

Highbury is named after a suburb in London, England.

A school was established in 1904 and (with some upgrades) continued to operate until 1946. The first school operated in what was locally called 'The Cathederal'. A mud hut with a thatched roof that was both the school and a church. A weather board structure was built on Block 28 of the Townsite the following year.

In 1924 it was noted that the teacher's accommodation was inadequate but it took until 1933 for anything to be done about it. When the school closed, the building was removed but the teacher's residence remained and became a private dwelling in 1958.

Two years earlier a store was built and that was rebuilt in 1945. That building continues to operate today. The Highbury Hotel was built in 1904 but has now been renamed the Highbury Tavern.

A hall was built on the corner of Wilson and Burley Streets in 1906 and apart from some patched cracks in the walls, is still looking in reasonable shape. The first upgrade to the hall was done in 1914 and in 1957 the kitchen was renovated and a new floor installed.

C.B.H. built a pig-pen type of wheat bin in 1933 and upgraded the facility in 1963.

 

MAP

 

 

VIDEO

PROBLEM PLAYING THESE ON FIREFOX?
Turn off Enhanced Tracking Protection
Click the shield icon left of the URL near the top left
Slide Advanced Tracking Protection to OFF

 

Nothing here right now.


 

OTHER INFORMATION

 

ATTRACTIONS

 

Sundial.

 

BUILDINGS OF NOTE

 

Hall, Tavern.

 

ELECTORAL ZONES

 

State : Roe

Federal : O'Connor

 

OTHER INFO.

 

Postcode : 6013

Website : Shire of Narrogin

 

PHOTOS

Click on a thumbnail to see full sized picture.
Please note that using the https url will cause the photos not to show. To show photos use the standard http url.

 

 

Back Forward

 


 

Best time to visit:

Jan

Feb

Mar

Apr

May

Jun

Jul

Aug

Sep

Oct

Nov

Dec

 

 

 

Become a supporter of this website for just $5 a month

 

 

Go to the Home Page Go to the Help Page Go to the Help Page

Western Australia Now and Then website - Copyright (c) 2019 - Marc Glasby. All rights reserved.