Local industries revolve around farming but also include the construction of silos, wheat bins and seed cleaning services.
Doodlakine, Baandee, North Baandee, Daadening Creek, Woolundra, Kodj Kodjin and Priors are other localities contained within the shire.
Doodlakine is 15 kilometres east and was thre first town to be settled in the area. Doodlakine was gazetted as a townsite on the 16th March 1891.
Slightly undulating countryside is dotted with salmon and York gums, gimlet and banksia. Many varieties of birds can be seen but some of the most
obvious are the noisy flocks of parrots.
In spring there are good displays of wildflowers and native animals that inhabit the area include kangaroos, echindna, wallabies and assorted reptiles.
There is a pleasant picnic area and lookout on Kellerberrin Hill with good views over the town and surrounding countryside.
The original hotel burned down a few years back but the hospitality at the new pub is just as good as it ever was. There are some interesting photos
on the walls of the town and the old pub.
The area was first visited by Robert Dale
who led an exploratory party inland from York in the 1830. Charles Hunt
was later commissioned by the government to sink wells in the area and during his travels he discovered and named Killaberrin hill. From 1861 pastoralists moved in to the district. (Another source
says the name Killaburnin was used by an explorer in 1861 and that C. C. Hunt used the name Kellerberrin in 1864.)
Among the earliest settlers were : Massingham, Leake, Sewell and Ripper. By 1877 these families had established the properties of Cuttening,
Milligan, Mooranoppin and Mt Caroline.
The Northam to Southern Cross railway was constructed in 1895 and Kellerberrin was a station on the line.
Charles Glass found gold while sinking a well in the area and a prospecting party was quickly formed to examine his land for more signs but none
were found. The party decided to move further out towards the Yilgarn hills (Yilgarn is the Aboriginal name for white quartz.) The leader of the party (Colreavy) reported
back to Perth that there was no evidence of gold but as soon as his services were terminated he and a mate provisioned themselves and quickly went back to the same area.
Meanwhile another prospecting party (Edward Payne and Robert Kirkham) had been more successful and discovered gold on October 20th 1887.
The town dates from 1895 when the townsite was first surveyed (gazetted 1901) and was named after a nearby hill ‘Killabin’ or ‘Killaburing’. The hill
was named by local Aborigines after a fierce type of ant known as keela. There is a second theory about the name meaning 'camping place near where rainbow birds are found'.
This originates from the Aboriginal words, 'kalla' which means 'camping place' and 'berrin berrin' which means 'rainbow bird.'
The Agricultural Hall was built in 1897 and queries were raised in parliament by the Member for Yilgarn, as to why the government would spend money
on a place where nobody lived except “two men, a dog and a dead kangaroo”.
The book - History of Kellerberrin is available from local shire office.
TALL TALES AND TRUE
No information for this section yet. If you know of something we can add here please contact us and let us know.
Google Maps has problems displaying from a hidden frame. Please press the refresh button below to display the map correctly.
Nothing available at this time.
Gardner Nature Reserve (35km south west), Mt Caroline, Folk museum, Milligan homestead, Mt Stirling, Kokerbin hill 20km south), Kellerberrin Lookout, Wildflowers in spring.
Town heritage trail, Durakoppin Reserve (27km north).
BUILDINGS OF NOTE
Former agricultural hall 1890, Post office 1912, St. Joseph's Church 1916, Massingham House 1912, St Andrew's Presbyterian Church 1938, Old Kellerberrin Fire Station 1912
FAMOUS SONS AND DAUGHTERS
Jessie Pengilly, Bron Pickett, Peter Walsh, Nicky Winmar.
State : Central Wheatbelt
Federal : Durack
Postcode : 6410
Local Government : Shire of Kellerberrin
Click on a thumbnail to see full sized picture.