Xantippe is the name of a region between Dalwallinu and Kalannie in the northern wheatbelt
A town as such never developed but there was once a school located on Struggle Street. Yes, there really is a road named Struggle Street!
Although a local progress association was formed, no town eventuated and so Xantippe never received its own postcode.
The main item of interest concerning the area is the name itself. It is the only place in all of Australia with a name starting with X.
The origin of the name is unclear but there are two suggestions. First that it was named after Socrates' bad tempered wife but probably more likely
that it is a word that translates to: 'looking for water from a deeper well.'
The name is pronounced Zan-tip-ee.
Water was certainly an issue both for the Aboriginal people and for the early European settlers.
The large water catchment tank that still stands in Xantippe Reserve was completed in 1927, just two years after the first farms in the area were established.
The original idea was to supply water to the town of Dalwallinu but problems pumping water uphill for 30 kilometres meant that
in the end, the water was used to supply local farms instead.
In 1930 a progress associtation was formed but it only lasted until 1934.
Also in 1930 the school was opened and it continued to operate until 1940 when it was shifted to Kalannie.
The reserve that still exists today was gazetted in 1931. It is a popular campsite for travellers but there are no facilities.
Students at Xantippe school
Xantippe progress association and school students