YANDANOOKA

 

Yandanooka

 

GPS 29 18 46.24 S 115 34 01.89 E

 

 

 

 

GOOGLE IS TRYING TO DESTROY THIS WEBSITE BECAUSE WE WILL NOT RUN THEIR ADS. WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT.

Find us on Youtube     Find us on Facebook     Find us on Pinterest     Find us on Instagram     Support us on Patreon

 

 

PLEASE HELP TO SUPPORT THIS WEBSITE
Join us on Patreon.
Visit our You Tube Video Page.
Buy one of our PDF books.
Let others know where to find us via social media or
Make a small donation via PayPal

 

 

Yandanooka is located on the Midland Road between Mingenew and Three Springs.

The community hall and a couple of private residences are all that is left of what was once a small town.

Like many places in the mid-west, Yandanooka developed after the Midland Railway opened in 1919.

There are few signs left today of the community sheep dip, 9 hole golf course, government school and tennis courts that once were part of the town.

In 1979 cyclonic winds severely damaged the roof of the hall and the shire wanted to have the building demolished. Thankfully the community rallied to the defence of the building and it was modernised and repaired. The hall is still in use today and the toilets at the rear are open to the public.

The last shop in town closed in 1979 and the railway siding ceased to be a receival point for grain in the 1980s.

The name of the town comes from the Aboriginal language and is said to mean, 'water in the hills.' Another source quotes the meaning as, 'Plenty of hilly country'. The name was recorded as early as 1854 when Thomas Whitfield took up land in the area.

In 1898, mining leases for copper and lead were issued.

A large open area next to the railway line is available for self contained caravans and motorhomes to stop over night.

 

Yandanooka rest area

 

 

 

 

 

Become a supporter of this website for just $5 a month

 

 

Go to the Home Page Go to the Help Page Go to the Help Page

Western Australia Now and Then website - Copyright (c) 2019 - Marc Glasby. All rights reserved.