Located on the Williams River. The town dates from 1898 and the old hotel that is still standing, originates from around 1900. The hotel was substantially renovated in 1921.
In fact the hotel and an old church, plus one or two houses, are about all there is today.
St. Boniface Anglican church was constructed in 1955-6 and is made from local stone carted to the site by church members. It is reported that the church cost 4,600 pounds which
was a substantial amount.
Settlement in the area dates from the 1830s and continued slowly until the turn of the century. The town site was gazetted in 1907 and the name originates from a nearby
water source discovered by Alfred Hillman. The name is thought to be of Aboriginal origin but the meaning is not known.
A tragedy occurred in December 1886 when Ernest William Lilley (aged 7) and a friend were playing near a pool in the river. Ernest fell in and quickly got into trouble.
His friend ran to the nearby Haynes homestead for help and Mrs. Haynes came running back with him and plunged in to try and save the drowning child. She was soon in trouble
as well and sadly both she and Ernest drowned.
After many years without a general store, one was re-opened by John Hogan in 1953.
TALL TALES AND TRUE
No information for this section yet. If you know of something we can add here please contact us and let us know.
Google Maps has problems displaying from a hidden frame. Please press the refresh button below to display the map correctly.
Church and hotel.
BUILDINGS OF NOTE
State : Wagin
Federal : Canning
Postcode : 6391
Local Government : Shire of Boddington
Click on a thumbnail to see full sized picture.