The town is located on the banks of the Hotham River and was named after Henry Boddington. The first settlement occurred in the 1860s where wheat and sheep became the
region's main industries.
The Boddington Rodeo is held in November each year and is a major tourist attraction. The shire is almost half covered by state forest and picnic areas like
Lions Weir and the Tullis Railway Bridge, offer visitors a pleasant relaxing atmosphere.
The town has seen quite a lot of development as mining in the area has expanded from 2006, with the resulting influx of workers doing little to maintain the
relaxed atmosphere that existed previously.
The town was gazetted in 1912 after the arrival of the first railway line. The town began to go downhill until the discovery of bauxite in 1979.
In 1986 more development came with the opening of a gold mine.
Marradong was originally the centre of the area and the local Road Board was founded there in 1892. In 1961 the Marradong Road Board was renamed
the Shire of Boddington. Marradong originally had a shop, post office, hotel, church and a one roomed school. The only structures remaining are
St Albans (a centenary old church) and a few old homes in varying states of repair. Marradong was the centre of Local Government until 1925 when
a new building was built in Boddington which replaced the old site. This building still stands in Johnstone St, next to the Town Hall. Marradong
was settled by the Batt family.
Ranford is a small settlement 4 kilometres east of Boddington and was established in the 1930's as a result of the tannin extracts factory that
was built there. Although Ranford had a boarding house it relied on Boddington for its services.
The tannin extracts factory opened in April 1937 and processed white gum timber. Tannin was used in the production of leather. Logs of up to
11 feet in length were fed into a machine that broke the wood up in such a way as to expose the cells of wood ready for the tannin to be leached
out. The leaching process took 24 hours and was done with a combination of water and steam. In 1939 a second factory was built but by 1957 the
first factory closed down with the second following in 1964 after timber stocks were almost exhausted.
The first school was known as the Hotham River school and operated until September 1920. The next school was built in the townsite and was in
operation until 1999. In 2000 a modern school came into operation.
Devastating bushfires in 1961 wiped out much of the timber stocks that the railway needed to remain financially viable. By the end of the decade the railway had closed.
TALL TALES AND TRUE
No information for this section yet. If you know of something we can add here please contact us and let us know.
Hotham River, Lions Weir, Randford Pool walk trail, Tullis Bridge walk trail, Dilyan’s Grave, Arts and Crafts Centre, Golf Course, Community Markets.
BUILDINGS OF NOTE
St Albans Church and Marradong Cemetery.
State : Wagin
Federal : Canning
Postcode : 6390
Local Government : Shire of Boddington
If photos are available, click on a thumbnail to see full sized picture.