Originally known as Koorabup (place of the black swan) the town was later named after Dr. Alexander Denmark in 1839. The town is located at the foot of
Mt Shadforth beside the Denmark River.
Wilson Inlet and the nearby coast offer visitors swimming, fishing, surfing and terrific photo opportunities. The town lies across the Denmark River, and carefully
maintained parks lend the town an ideal setting. It is one of the most beautiful towns on the south coast.
One of the town's more unusual attractions is a bandstand located on the river bank with the seating for listeners on the opposite side of the river. The acoustics
of the bandstand are set up so that the quality of sound which travels across the river is excellent.
The coastal scenery around Denmark is what attracts most people to the area. The waterfall at Madfish Bay, Green's Pool and Ocean Beach just outside the
town are three of the many magnificent spectacles which await the visitor.
Review : Penrose Cottage, Mt. Lindsay Road. (Feb 2012)
Penrose cottage is located on a farm about 12 kilometres north of Denmark town. It is reached by taking Scotsdale Tourist Drive and turning right into the
unsealed (but well maintained) Mt. Lindsay Road. The cottage is well signposted and easy to find on the left hand side of the road as you head north.
Penrose Cottage sleeps six people and is very reasonably priced, especially considering the fact that you have it exclusively to yourself. There are three
bedrooms, (two queen and two single beds). The cottage comes complete with everything you will need for either a few nights or a couple of weeks stay.
At the end of the day when you have been exploring the area you can come back and relax, watch a DVD, listen to music, have a BBQ and play with Flossy,
the 'wonder dog' who is always eager to teach new guests how to throw a stick or ball.
We enjoyed our stay there very much and happily recommend Penrose to anyone who is thinking of staying in the Denmark area. To book or find out more
about the cottage click here.
(Please note: We do not take any kind of payment for the reviews we write. All our reviews are independent and contain entirely our own views.)
The area was first sighted in 1627 by the Dutch ship Gulden Zeepaerd. Europeans, led by surgeon
visited the area in 1829. Wilson had passed the Denmark coast many times as he oversaw the health of convicts in transport ships heading for Tasmania.
Wilson's exploration of the area happened almost by accident, as the ship he was returning to England, it was wrecked in the Torres Strait. Wilson and the other
survivors were rescued by the brig Amity and brought to Fremantle. From there he boarded the Governor Phillips which was bound for Sydney.
The ship ran aground in King George Sound and was in the area for about three weeks. It was during this enforced stay that Wilson, with others came ashore and explored the area.
Following Wilson's reports about the area it was explored again, first by Captain Barker and then later by
in 1831. Bannister named William Bay, Edward Point and Parry Inlet after Captain William Edward Parry, an Artic explorer whom he admired.
Near the turn of the century a timber mill was established to provide sleepers for the Great Southern Railway. It was set up by Charles and Edwin Millar
and operations started near the beginning of 1896. Demand for timber was such that the mills even operated at night by the light of kerosene lamps.
Up to 25,000 super feet of timber were produced daily. Some of the local karri timber was even exported to London for use as road paving. Soon orders
for timber were coming in from all over the world and by 1900 there were three mills producing some 90,000 super feet of timber a day.
A railway linked the town to Albany and the timber company built 45 miles of tramways to transport timber.
The Millars tried to keep Denmark a 'dry' town with a ban on alcohol except on special occasions. This led to an illicit trade where whisky bought in Albany
for five shillings a bottle was sold in Denmark at a 400% mark-up.
Good quality milling timber quickly ran out after only ten years. Once the mills closed in 1905 very few people remained in the area. By 1906 the town was
abandoned except for a caretaker (Mr. Thompson) who was employed to keep an eye on the company's property.
The government purchased the remaining buildings for 50,000 pounds (one source says that the company wanted 100,000 then dropped the price to 50,000
but the Government only wanted to pay 40,000 and negotiations lapsed) and the town struggled on for many years. It was another
group settlement town after World War I, but success did not arrive for the area until after World War II.
Much of the infrastructure and buildings in the area was destroyed by a huge bush fire in 1937 but thankfully there was no loss of life.
The railway ceased to operate in 1957 and it was not until the area became a popular tourist destination during the summer months that any real increase in population was evident.
Wilson Inlet and the nearby coast offer visitors swimming, fishing, surfing and terrific photo opportunities. The town lies across the Denmark River, and carefully maintained
parks lend the town an ideal setting. It is one of the most beautiful towns on the south coast.
One of the town's more unusual attractions is a bandstand located on the river bank with the seating for listeners on the opposite side of the river. The acoustics of the
bandstand are set up so that the quality of sound which travels across the river is excellent.
The coastal scenery around Denmark is what attracts most people to the area. The waterfall at Madfish Bay, Green's Pool and Ocean Beach just outside the town are
three of the many magnificent spectacles which await the visitor.
TALL TALES AND TRUE
No information for this section yet. If you know of something we can add here please contact us and let us know.
PROBLEM PLAYING THESE ON FIREFOX?
Turn off Enhanced Tracking Protection
Click the shield icon left of the URL near the top left
Slide Advanced Tracking Protection to OFF
Wilson Inlet, Denmark River, Green's Pool, Parry Inlet, Monkey Rock Lookout, Ocean Beach, Light's Beach, Vineyards, Parrys Beach, Conspicuous Cliff, William Bay NP, Cheese Factory.
BUILDINGS OF NOTE
State : Blackwood-Stirling
Federal : O'Connor
Postcode : 6333
Local Government : Shire of Denmark
Click on a thumbnail to see full sized picture.