GHOST TOWNS STARTING WITH 'P'

 

Ghost towns - Western Australia

 

 

 

 

 

P.W.D. TIMBER MILL
15 km south east of Dwellingup.
Once connected by rail to Amphion Siding on the old state railway line to Boddington.

PADDINGTON
Located between Kalgoorlie and Menzies.
Gold mining town.
Goldfield discovered in 1894.
Some of the mines were the Pakeha, Mt. Corlic, Star of W.A. and Paddington Consuls mine. The latter was the largest in the area employing 4-500 men. Closed down in 1901.
The town amalgamated with Broad Arrow in 1903.

PAYNESVILLE
Earlier names: PAYNTON - FORDS - EAST Mount Magnet.
28 01' S 118 30' E
77 km east of Mount Magnet.
Gold mining town.
Gold was discovered in this area in early 1898 by Tom Payne and Waldeck.
By April 1899 locals were using the name Paynesville.
Gazetted in 1900.
Named after Tom Payne.

PAYNTON
 Early name for PAYNESVILLE.

PEAK HILL
25 38' S 118 43' E
120 km from Meekatharra.
Gold mining town.
Gold discovered by William John Wilson in 1892.
The names originates from Peak Hill in New South Wales.
The townsite was gazetted in 1897.
Peak Hill (C) Don Copley
Peak Hill (C) Don Copley

PENDINNIE
Former name of PENNYWEIGHT POINT.

PENDINNIE SOAK
Also spelled PINDINNIS SOAK.
8 km south of the abandoned settlement of Yundamindera.
Appears to date from around 1895 when there was a mud hut and attached garden about 200 metres from the soak.
Gazetted as a 300 acre Reserve in November 1896.

PENNYWEIGHT POINT
Formerly called PENDINNIE.
Located 10 km west of Pyke's Hollow and 13 km north of Pendennie Soak.
Gold mining town.
Gold discovered by Henry Wood, Charles Fallis, Robert Lindsay, Michael Slater and Patrick Higgins in June 1895. The rush was short lived

PIG WELL
19 km north of the abandoned town of MALCOLM.
Gold mining town.

PIKES HOLLOW
Called NUNYARRA by the Aborigines.
Between the abandoned settlement of Yundamindera and Lake Carey.
Gold mining town.
The first leases taken up around mid 1895.
Early mines included Hands Across the Bar, Nine of Hearts, Harlech
Castle and Scotchman.
A settlement started at the base of an unusual conical limestone hill. By 1897 30 people were living there.

PILBARRA Located at Pilbarra Pool on the Pilbarra Creek near Yule River south of Port Hedland.
Harry Wells found gold but some sources say Ben Christie was the discoverer.

PINDALUP RAILWAY SIDING
32 46.7' S 116 15.9' E
Between Pinjarra and Dwellingup on the Narrogin State railway.
First called Vincent in 1913. Renamed in 1922.

PINDALUP PORT's Number 1 TIMBER MILL
20 km east south east of Dwellingup on the old State railway line to Narrogin.

PINDALUP PORT's Number 2 TIMBER MILL
23 km east south east of Dwellingup 5 km north of the old State
railway line to Narrogin.

PINDATHUNA
28 km north of Yalgoo. Reserve 2968 that was declared in 1895.

PINDINNIS SOAK
Alternate spelling of - PENDINNIE SOAK.

PINTHARUKA
29 05' S 115 58' E
13 km north of Morawa.
Originally a railway siding.

PINYALLING
Located on Ninghan pastoral station possibly near Pinyalling Hill east of Mongers lake.
Gold mining area.
In 1901 there were 13 houses with 20 inhabitants.

PLAVINS RAILWAY SIDING
See PLAVINS TIMBER MILL.

PLAVIN'S TIMBER MILL
About 12 km east north east of Collie.
Timber milling.
Built about 1918.

PLAVINS TIMBER MILL - Dwellingup AREA
32 44.6' S 116 9' E
8.7 km east south east of Dwellingup on the old State railway line to Boddington

POISON CREEK
Next to a pool on Poison Creek between Agnew and Leonora.
Stage coach way station James Nicholas' Cobb & Co coaches that went through to Lawlers from 1896.

POONDINO
Also called POONDINO HILLS.
Located on the old railway line from Port Hedland to Marble Bar. 25 km east of South Hedland near Poondino Hills.

PORLELL
Originally called STAR OF THE EAST also STAR.
26 56' S 118 36' E
23 km east of the abandoned town of Nannine.
Gold mining town.
Gold discovered in the mid 1890's by L. R. Menzies.
The name Porlelle was originally suggested (after a small nearby lake) but the spelling was amended to Porlell and the townsite was gazetted in November 1899.

PORT'S NUMBER 1 TIMBER MILL
11 km east of Roelands near the Coalfields road.
Timber milling.
Established in 1893 by James Cornish Port.

PORT'S NUMBER 2 TIMBER MILL
Located near the 24 mile mark of the government railway between Donnybrook and Boyanup.
The mill closed in about 1900.

PORT'S NUMBER 3 TIMBER MILL
15.5 km east south east of Roelands on the Coalfields Road.

PRESTON NUMBER 2 TIMBER MILL
1.5 km north north west of Lowden. 127

PRINCESS ROYAL
32 07' S 121 48' E
16 km north north east of Norseman.
Gold mining town.
Chester, Peddler and Flanagan discovered reef gold there in 1895.
Alluvial gold was discovered in August 1901.
Gazetted in 1904.

 

 

 

 

Find a Job


jobs by neuvoo job search

 

I'm lost please take me home...