Situated on the banks of the Ashburton River. Just north of the
roadhouse is the western access road to Karijini National Park. The
Ashburton River was named after the President of the Royal
Geographical Society by
who discovered it in 1861.
Although they are not obvious during daylight hours, there are large
numbers of Kangaroos in this area and driving through here at night is
Harry Higham acquired Nanutarra Station in 1879 and the name originates
from an Aboriginal word for a type of bulrush that grows in the area.
Higham brought 1,500 sheep from the area where the town of Moora now
exists. John Cowan and Higham followed the route pioneered by
Nanutarra Station relied heavily on Aboriginal labour and the
Aboriginal people where excellent stockmen.
Frank Baxter built the
Nanutarra Roadhouse in 1965 three kilometres from the original
Nanutarra homestead sat. People travelling through this still remote
area today, can scarcely comprehend the difficulties faced by the
Hotel / Motel / Caravan park : Ph. 08 9943 0521