Watheroo

 

 

WATHEROO

 

GPS 30 17 40 S 116 03 44 E

 

 

 

 

FIND ACCOMMODATION

 

Marchagee

Nearby Towns

Moora

 

 

GOOGLE IS TRYING TO DESTROY THIS WEBSITE BECAUSE WE WILL NOT RUN THEIR ADS. WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT.

Find us on Youtube     Find us on Facebook     Find us on Pinterest     Find us on Instagram     Support us on Patreon

 

PLEASE HELP TO SUPPORT THIS WEBSITE
Join us on Patreon.
Visit our You Tube Video Page.
Buy one of our PDF books.
Let others know where to find us via social media or
Make a small donation via PayPal

 

 

 

 

STATISTICS

Distance from Perth

211 Km

Population

189

Average Rainfall

402.5mm

Mean Max Temp

24.9C

Mean Min Temp

10.8C

 

SERVICES

Police

08 9651 1106

Fire and Rescue

08 9651 1555

Medical

08 9651 0222

Visitor Centre

08 9653 1053

 

CARAVAN PARKS

Unknown

 

HOTEL / MOTEL / B AND B

Tavern

08 9651 7007

 

CALENDAR OF EVENTS

 

 

 

link to Mingor.net website

 

DESCRIPTION

 

This is a tiny town between Moora and Coorow on a road known as the Midlands Scenic Way.

There is a general store and limited accommodation but apart from the Watheroo National Park there is little to attract visitors to the town.

The area relies mostly on wheat and sheep farming.

 

HISTORY

 

Gerald de Courcey Lefroy visited the area in 1848.

James Oliver settled in the area in 1851 but had sold up and moved on selling his property to Joseph Purser. Some sources say that Purser never moved in to his new property but others say he arrived in 1860.

Other leases were taken up by E. McIntosh, T.B. Ridley, E. Collin, Walter Padbury, Father Aragon, and Father Francis Salvado who were monks at New Norcia.

In 1868 the Benedictine Community of New Norcia purchased Marah from the estate of Joseph Purser. (Presumably he had died).

John Forrest led an expedition through the area in 1870.

Watheroo became part of the Midland to Walkaway railway in 1894 and the townsite was declared in 1907.

The first school opened in 1912 and Watheroo Primary School opened in 1914.

In 1929, the area's first sporting club was established.

By 1933 a branch of the CWA had started operating in town. It was to continue until 1992.

The first bulk-handling wheat bin was constructed in town in 1938.

A new school opened in 1950 but it wasn't as impressive as it sounds as there was only one room. The school was gradually upgraded over the next 10 years.

In 1964 the town was connected to the Country Water Supply Scheme.

The name is said to originate with an Aboriginal word meaning seaweed but it is so far from the sea that this does seem rather odd. The first recorded use was Watheroo Spring in 1873. Two different versions of the towns name have been put forward, 'Wardo' meaning little bird in the local Aboriginal dialect or 'Wardoro' meaning water.

 

TALL TALES AND TRUE

 

No information for this section yet. If you know of something we can add here please contact us and let us know.

 

MAP

 

 

VIDEO

PROBLEM PLAYING THESE ON FIREFOX?
Turn off Enhanced Tracking Protection
Click the shield icon left of the URL near the top left
Slide Advanced Tracking Protection to OFF

 

 

OTHER INFORMATION

 

ATTRACTIONS

 

Watheroo National Park, Old observatory, Edawa Lake, Little Salt Lake campsite, 18 hole golf course, Wildflowers in spring.

 

BUILDINGS OF NOTE

 

Unknown

 

ELECTORAL ZONES

 

State : Moore

Federal : Durack

 

OTHER INFO.

 

Postcode : 6513

Local Government : Shire of Moora

 

PHOTOS

Click on a thumbnail to see full sized picture.
Please note that using the https url will cause the photos not to show. To show photos use the standard http url.

 

 

Back Forward

 


 

 

 

GOOGLE AD END -->

 

 

Become a supporter of this website for just $5 a month

 

 

Go to the Home Page Go to the Help Page Go to the Help Page

Western Australia Now and Then website - Copyright (c) 2019 - Marc Glasby. All rights reserved.